1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
391 Posts
I use these a lot..

I really like the 15 round model because the floorplate is smaller, and the last two rounds are hard to feed in the 17s. The 17 rouns model is nice, and great for the price, but your recoil spring has to be strong enough to strip that top round. I use slightly stiff Wollf springs, and have no problems.
The very best of both worlds for me was to chuck the 17 round mags, but switch the follower from my Mec-Gar mags with the steel ones from the KRD mag. I took three of them, and their springs, and loaded them into the 15 round MG mag bodies for what is, in my opinion, the perfect mag. holds 15 rounds, doesn't rattle, and locks the slide back every time.
If you get the KRD Mags from CDNN, get the nickel (chrome?) ones, as the mog bodies in the parkerized ones are a little rough, and I think they are the same price.
Steve.

· Registered
247 Posts
KRD mags

I bought a few of the 15 rounders from CDNN. They have run 100% in my FN Hi-Power. One thing to be careful with is using the mag loader. The metal follower on one of mine got bent down in the rear which left the round pointing up. I pulled the follower out and bent it back straight with my hand. It's easy to fix if you do it because the metal is soft. It is also easy to have happen as the metal is soft.

Otherwise, they are good mags at a great price.

Chris

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking about going with the Mecgar 15 rd mags. Does anyone know if they are flush fit? Arizona gun Runners has them for just a few dollars more than the CDNN mags and I know MecGar makes a quality magazine.

· Registered
2,484 Posts
I have 3-17rnd KRD mags and they hace been so-so in my new FN HP. At first they were horribly unreliable. I left them loaded for a few weeks at the suggestion of forum members and that seemed to help, but did not completely eliminate the problems. Finally I polished all the edges on the followers and lips (carefully removing edges and burrs) and that helped even more. They are decent range magazines but with all the problems I had, I don't have enough confidence with them for serious use.

Maybe I just got some bad apples.

· Registered
173 Posts
KRD - OK by me...

I have about 25 of the KRD mags from CDNN. They work fine for me in my high powers. I currently have two that I use..a M95 Detective and a full size MkIII Browning that I recently purchased from CDNN.

The only issue ever to arise is when the mags are new and fully loaded, from time to time, the M95 Dtective will not strip the first round off the loaded mag, it requires a "bump" from me to get the slide closed.

Other than that, smooth sailing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.