1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Custom CDP full-size that I thought I'd be really impressed with. It looked so good sitting there on the "showroom floor". In fact, I traded a perfectly good Springfield Armory "Loaded" 1911A1 (along with a BUNCH of cash) for it and now I find myself missing it.<p>I'm just not all that impressed. I really like the light weight because it doesn't pull down my belt so badly. The 30LPI checkering on the frontstrap is a welcome change over the SA. There's nothing really wrong with the Kimber in my opinion (exept that the safety is a little too easy to disengage for my taste) but for the kind of money I paid, I expected to be excited.<p>I really can't nail it down, but I'm unimpressed overall. I've got the blues.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Inspector Harry,

Sorry to hear you're down in the dumps.
If you haven't taken your new CDP out to the range - do it! Sure cure for the blues.

About a year ago I traded a P.O.S. jam-o-matic STI LS9 (plus a fist full of cash) on a Pro CDP. My 1st "high-end" 1911. A few pistols later & I still think the CDP is a great pistol and a trusted companion.

We go along and find out that it's a learning process. Resolve not to trade a perfectly good pistol in on anything.

Save up so you can keep the good ones and only get rid of the under-performers.

I suspect the Custom CDP will grow on you if you give it a chance.

Now get out there and shot the snot out of that sucker!

All the best, TX CCL

·
Registered
25 Posts
I feel your pain.

I had not experienced as much anticipation as I did waiting for my Ultra CDP, but in the two months I had it, it's been back twice (slam fire, locked mag-release, trigger job). Also has a sloppy thumb safety, slides around with the hammer down.

Like yourself, I'm unimpressed overall.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'll admit to buyer's remorse after most significant purchases. I'm sure you came up with a variety of really good reasons to trade your SA for the Kimber - they're still good reasons so there shouldn't be any reason to doubt your wisdom! Enjoy your new Kimber.

TX CCL - Sorry to hear about the jam-a-matic STI LS9! I have been impressed with this pistol off and on for the past year or so. I heard that it's quite snappy to shoot, but otherwise an OK pistol. Tell me more!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I will shoot it tomorrow. My server went down for a while so I got the CDP out and looked it over some. It sure is pretty, and light too. Have you heard anything about the durability of the aluminum alloy frame? Everything is tight right now, but I'm concerned about wear. The black finish on the alloy frame seems durable enough but I'm sure it will wear off with serious carry. Finish wear is not a problem, but rail wear worries me.

Wanna hear something strange? I've been packing a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum in a 3-slot pancake holster because I'm so unsure of this Kimber. Here I have a high-end pistol and I've opted to carry the sixgun. LOL!! Hopefully, the big auto will grow on me.

Thanks again for the advice,
Callahan

·
Registered
489 Posts
Originally posted by Inspector Harry Callahan:

Wanna hear something strange? I've been packing a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum in a 3-slot pancake holster because I'm so unsure of this Kimber. Here I have a high-end pistol and I've opted to carry the sixgun. LOL!! Hopefully, the big auto will grow on me.

I don't think that is strange at all...untill you get a chance to really run that new gun through some serious testing.

Take it out and run about 500+ rounds of round nose through it...then run a bunch of your prefered carry rounds through it...make sure it is reliable with your carry rounds...then...enjoy!!

I actually think you are being very smart in carrying a gun that you know is reliable...to many people buy a new handgun; and never shoot it...and expect it to perform when needed.

I hope the gun grows on you...for what its worth...my aluminum compact continues to be my favorite to shoot...in spite of a few problems with it...I just love the way that gun feels.

Greg

·
Registered
53 Posts
You are wise not to carry a gun for defensive purposes that you haven't fired. I would fire at least 400-500 rounds thru the gun including your carry ammo before making it your "carry" gun.
I've fired over 1000 rounds thru my Pro CDP Kimber with NO malfunctions at all. Most of these were my reloads, so the gun will shoot anything!
I really got spoiled to the light weight of the Kimber, and my Wilson pistol seems awfully heavy when I carry it.
Shoot your Kimber, I think you'll be happy with the trade.

------------------

·
Registered
416 Posts
Put 1000 rounds through it before you think it is junk. I wasn't too happy about my CDP throwing brass in my face, but it stopped after around a thousand rounds. Watch out for that problem, it can be solved with a Wilson extractor. (just sucks to spend a grand and then another $30 to get it to work right)
I have FTFs 1 in 200. Not sure if it is my reloads, or a certain brass type, or one of the Wilson mags I bought. (Kimber mag has yet to FTF) I am gong to start labeling my Wilson mags and look at what type of brass that FTFs to see any patterns developing. Then again, I've started shooting seriously with the Kimber in 95-100 temps with 100% humidity, so I think that dirt and carbon is getting gummy after 200 rounds.
By the way, factory ammo hasn't FTFed yet.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Gargoyle:
I've started shooting seriously with the Kimber in 95-100 temps with 100% humidity....
Have you noticed any wear on the alloy frame? Any indication of the plunger tube coming unstaked? How is the black finish on the frame holding up? Frontstrap checkering still sharp?

Thanks,
Callahan

·
Registered
166 Posts
Inspector,
I have a Custom CDP as my carry weapon. The only modification I did was replacing the stock recoil spring to 18.5#. The pistol so far after never malfunctioned on my range sessions with it shooting FMJs & HPs. I carry it in a Galco IWB Royal Guard holster and so far the finish is holding up; no noticeable wear on either the frame or slide.
I recently purchased a FS SA pistol model PX9109L and if I am to compare them side by side, the CDP is a better buy. But do not get me wrong, I love my SA. I never regretted purchasing the CDP and I am sure once you will not, too. Shoot it and see for yourself.

------------------
Protect LIFE...you only have ONE.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Callahan,

I've had my Pro CDP for a year and put a little over 1300 rounds through it. When I carry it (after work and on weekends) it's in a Milt Sparks VM-2 holster.

Have not noticed any unusual wear on the alloy frame. Yeah, the finish has worn off the rails but I think that's only natural. The black finish has not come off any place else.

Plunger tube on my Pro CDP is rock solid although I had to send my SA lightweight compact back to have it's plunger tube replaced/restaked.

Front strap checkering is still sharp.
Thumb safety is very good to excellent.
Your basic solid Kimber CDP.

My only complaint is cosmetic. Whoever buffed the slidestop got a little energetic, so I have a slight indentation there. The wood grain on my grips is a bit plain, but the checkering provides a good grip. Oh, and there's a slight burr on the thumb safety.

I could get the blues thinking about those imperfections. If I was buying a CDP today, I would pass on this pistol and asked to see another CDP.

But, the proof is in the shootin. This pistol feeds damn near anything.

Good luck with whatever you decide...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Johnny Rad,

If you search the STI/SVI forum for my posts, you should be able to find details about my experience with the LS9.

If you're looking for more info, drop me an e-mail.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks TX CCL! Your post is very encouraging. You mentioned that your grips were kinda plain grained, I'll have to say I got lucky with mine. They're beautifully grained, just like the pictures you see on the Ajax Grips site.

Glad to hear you've "torture" tested yours and it did good. I'll have to get up off my duff and get to work on this thing. I think I'll do two things first however. First off, I'm gonna replace the ambi-safety with a non-extended version as soon as I can locate one. If I can't find what I'm looking for I'll just file these down to the original Colt-style nub. Secondly, (and not as essential) I'm gonna replace that goofy PLASTIC mainspring housing. How dare they put a plastic MSH on a thousand dollar gun! The nerve!

Thanks for the pic too. It tells a great story.
Callahan

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by Inspector Harry Callahan:
Have you noticed any wear on the alloy frame? Any indication of the plunger tube coming unstaked? How is the black finish on the frame holding up? Frontstrap checkering still sharp?

Thanks,
Callahan
No wear yet. I was worrying about the wear with the kydex holster I bought, but instead of the frame wearing, the Kydex did instead.
The front checkering is still sharp and I don't foresee it getting dull anytime soon. (budy of mine said, "it hurt his hands", boo hoo)
Don't worry, you have a good gun, but like most it will need it's own wear in time and tweaks. My only problem was the extractor at first, but seemed to wear itself in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts