·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the Pro CDP on my Christmas List, it beat out the following:
- Custom CDP
- SS Pro Carry TLE/RL
- SS Custom TLE/RL

After reading the Aluminum Frame issues thread, I am having second thoughts and am considering changing my Christmas List. Anyone have any reassurance or suggestions on which Kimber would be best. It will primarily be a range shooter and home defense weapon, perhaps it will be carried in the near future.

What is the best material for a Kimber? I like the idea of aluminum and/or Stainless, but I am not an expert. Please advise.

Thanks,
Max

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Aluminum frames are great for guns that serve primarily as carry guns. If you want a range/HD gun I would suggest you go with a full size steel framed weapon. Aluminum is a softer and lighter material, so it will wear faster than a steel framed weapon. You will also experience more recoil due to the lighter frame, which may or may not make a difference to you if your going to be shooting at the range all the time. My range/HD gun is a TLE/RL II (steel framed), and my carry guns are a Tactical Custom II and an Ultra Carry II (both aluminum framed). If your planning on carrying it, then go for the Pro CDP II, it is a fine gun, but be aware that it will show wear significantly faster than a steel gun if you shoot it a lot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a Kimber Gold Combat Stainless and a Kimber Pro CDP. Both are good guns but, in my opinion, are designed to do different jobs.

If you are serious about the using this gun for range shooting and home defense, I recommend that you go with a steel rather than an alloy frame and a 5 inch (full length) barrel rather than the shorter 4 inch barrel on the Pro. Carrying this a bit further, I would also suggest that you get a gun with a rail on it (like the TLE/RL or a Warrior) so that you can easily attach a light or a light and laser combination for home defense.

For a gun that you intend to carry daily or at least a lot, I would recommend you go in the other direction and get a smaller, lighter alloy gun. I personally like the Pro size but a number of people like the smaller 3 inch Ultra sized guns as well.

Like most things in life, it's hard to find one that will do everything well. That's where knowing your requirements and compromise come in.

Good luck in finding a solution that works for you.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
MaxKimber said:
After reading the Aluminum Frame issues thread...
I missed that one. Can you post the link? I can't say I've heard of any real "issues" with them. Obviously if it's a gun is selected for an extreme wrong application, there will be problems. But the CDP is meant to be a comfortable carry piece.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SRJim said:
I missed that one. Can you post the link? I can't say I've heard of any real "issues" with them. Obviously if it's a gun is selected for an extreme wrong application, there will be problems. But the CDP is meant to be a comfortable carry piece.
It is the link titled: "McCormick mags and aluminum frames..." In the Kimber Forum (like the third thread down from the top).

Thanks for all the suggestions, I value your input. I think I may switch back to the SS TLE/RL.

How I do like the 'smoothing' effect of the CDP, but as y'all stated, the alloy frame my not suit my immediate needs. Anyone know how much it costs to add an ambi-safety to a SS TLE/RL? I was going to ask if Kimber would smooth out a TLE/RL, but it would be difficult with the RL... A Stainless Pro Carry TLE would be nice, but only offered with the RL.

Please keep the suggestions coming...

Max

·
Registered
162 Posts
MaxKimber said:
It is the link titled: "McCormick mags and aluminum frames..." In the Kimber Forum (like the third thread down from the top).

Thanks for all the suggestions, I value your input. I think I may switch back to the SS TLE/RL.

How I do like the 'smoothing' effect of the CDP, but as y'all stated, the alloy frame my not suit my immediate needs. Anyone know how much it costs to add an ambi-safety to a SS TLE/RL? I was going to ask if Kimber would smooth out a TLE/RL, but it would be difficult with the RL... A Stainless Pro Carry TLE would be nice, but only offered with the RL.

Please keep the suggestions coming...

Max
Kimber will do a "melt" on any of their models, slide, frame or both. My son had his SS Custom done and KimPro'ed and it has the same shape as my CDP Custom. It is listed under the features in their Custom Shop on their site. Kimber changed the melt on the CDP considerably in the past couple of years. It used to be very radical, now it is a more modest softening of the harsh edges.

I've got a Custom from a special run done last year with no firing pin safety that I use at the range and a CDP Custom for carry. There is a difference in recoil that can be felt but it is not insurmountable.

Carbon steel slide to frame fit can be run tighter than what you can do on a SS gun and still avoid galling. My CDP is a looser fit (SS & alloy) than my all steel Custom but both shoot better than I do.

Use magazines with followers like those in the Tripp or Wilson mags and you won't have problems with the ramp. If you are overly concerned EGW makes a steel ramp to be fitted in alloy frame guns. Ramp cost $40 not sure the cost of install.

Best,

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the "melt" called Dehorn?

Looks like I will go with the Stainless Custom TLE II, with the following add-ons:

- Dehorn, I think (smooth out or melt) frame and slide
- Ambi-Safety
- Considering reducing the trigger to 3.5-4 pounds

Will the TLE fire without the magazine inserted???

Max

·
Registered
162 Posts
MaxKimber said:
Is the "melt" called Dehorn?

Looks like I will go with the Stainless Custom TLE II, with the following add-ons:

- Dehorn, I think (smooth out or melt) frame and slide
- Ambi-Safety
- Considering reducing the trigger to 3.5-4 pounds

Will the TLE fire without the magazine inserted???

Max
Melt = dehorn

As far as I know Kimber has never had magazine safety's on any of their models.

Dave

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Oh, and if the cost isn't an issue then it won't matter, but you'l be surprised at how quick you'll have a $1500 gun when you start adding custom add's.

I had one priced out and while I was shocked at the low price my local dealer gave me on the gun itself, even the reduced cost over retail (listed on Kimbers site) for the Custom Shop options, it added up really quick.

most anything you can have done later once you figure out that it is indeed what you want. Something like a full melt treatment might be worth getting up front though. Some parts like the slide, might be interchangeable and cut cost some.

·
Registered
162 Posts
SRJim said:
I understood that to Kimber, to dehorn is not as drastic as the melt treatment of the CDP for example. I could be wrong though.
Here is a pic of the original CDP and the current CDP (as of 2 months ago. Ignore the replacement parts (grips, safety, slidestop, etc.). Notice how much more drastic the original was? The dehorn is the same as the second one. My son talked to Steve in the Custom Shop and he said they didn't do the radical melt any longer. So a shop dehorn from Kimber will look just like the current CDP.

Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Wow, I knew I'd seen some that looked more than others, but that's obvious. The original looks like it did start to melt. :D

Thanks for the school'n.

Frankly, they don't appear to have a lot to snag much with anyway. But a dehorn should be all one needs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the input, suggestions, and knowledge... I agree, the cost will make a drastic jump with add-ons. I also agree the dehorn should be done at 'birth.' The safety too, as muscle memory is difficult to change. I will hold off on the trigger, for now.

Thanks for the pics...

If I do not get it for Christmas (which I am pretty sure I won't, just due to logistics), I will order it in early January.

If you have an ordinary Custom customized, does Kimber add "Custom Shop" engraving?

Max

·
Registered
162 Posts
MaxKimber said:
..........If you have an ordinary Custom customized, does Kimber add "Custom Shop" engraving?

Max
They didn't on my son's, and he would have been annoyed if they did. I'd be happy with no markings on the slide.

Dave

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a Kimber Pro CDP and wished I kept it. The alloy frames will still take a beating and if it ever cracks, Kimber would replace it. The extra weight does add up over time with the all steel frame when used as a carry piece. Accuracy was just as good as any of my Wilsons and Nighthawks.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
SRJim said:

Kimber alloy frames are tested to 75,000 rounds and I ran Chip McCormick mags exclusively in all three of my CDPs for years with no problems.

Others will differ. I personally feel most of the complaints about alloy frames is the wear of the finish, not the anodizing of the alloy.

But with that all being said, if primary use is home and rage, get a steel pistol.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
MaxKimber said:
After reading the Aluminum Frame issues thread, I am having second thoughts and am considering changing my Christmas List. Anyone have any reassurance or suggestions on which Kimber would be best. It will primarily be a range shooter and home defense weapon, perhaps it will be carried in the near future.

What is the best material for a Kimber? I like the idea of aluminum and/or Stainless, but I am not an expert. Please advise.
I think the definitive answer was in an article I read about the Kimber Pro Carry and the Pro Carry - HD. The author there said the Pro is a carry a lot shoot a little gun. The Pro - HD (all stainless, frame included) is a shoot a lot, carry a little. Mine say the same thing.

But then again, I LOVE my Kimber SIS!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts