1911Forum banner

CDP Ultra

955 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  bruce1331
Does anyone have some pros & cons to tell me about the Ultra CDP in 45 ACP. I think I might want one for my conceal carry firearm just introduced here in Michigan.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Have had a CDP Pro for over a year and it's been a great gun. I have probably run over 2k rounds through it. Some IDPA but mostly just paper. Any problems I’ve had can be attributed to my reloads. I liked the longer barrel and grip. It conceals nicely in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II IWB even on my fat body. I would say try them both and go with whatever feels best in your hand.

------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep
voting on the dinner menu. Liberty is a
well-armed sheep.

· Registered
262 Posts
I've had my Ultra CDP for about 7 months now, and find very little to dislike about it. It is accurate, well finished & reasonably tight fitting. My night sites seem to be holding up just fine, and functioning has been reliable - although I readily admit I need to get more lead down range before I am comfortable with CCW use. Now that the weather is getting cooler I have ordered a quality IWB holster & belt for it, I'll be more motivated to get out & shoot it (I usually carry a smaller piece in the summer heat).

Only 1 problem, & that was the gun would pre-maturely lock the slide back while there were still rounds in the mag. This only occurred with full power 230g roundnose, never with any HP defense ammo. I had a few choices open to me; contact Kimber, buy an aftermarket slide-lock (which I felt was the problem), or try to modify the existing slide lock. I chose the latter & modified the tab on the slide lock a little, & haven't had a problem since.

Since that purchase, I bought a 5" Classic Stainless as a stable mate for the CDP. Same story here - need to shoot it more, but the gun has ben flawless to date.

I know that Colt & SA make quality 1911 pattern guns, but my experiance with Kimber has been very good & I would recommend them without hesitation.

· Registered
2,876 Posts
I have the predecessor, the Ultra Elite. Same parts, old name.

The recoil guide rod assembly can break and when it does, it is $40. I put more than 10K through my gun. The biggest problem was live round stop pipe malfunctions where the round going into the chamber ends up not going there, but the bullet end sticking straight up, caught in the port against the barrel. The aluminum frame broke after 9600 rounds. They replaced it, but that was in the first year. The gun is very accurate. I would not buy another. I would go with one such as a Concealed Carry Officer's layout gun (CCO) that had a commander length barrel and slide, and officer's grip. The longer slide/barrel size really does seem to correspond with better reliability in the 1911s in general. I have never seen an officer's size 1911 that works as well as a full-sized or a commander-sized. I know, everyone has stories of guns that never mess up, but even given those stories, few will be for officer's-sized guns. The shorter slide and reduced mass seems to mess up the timing of the cycle and so there tend to be more malfunctions. Makers such as Kimber have tried to slow down the process by using a two stage spring that works pretty well, but I haven't seen anyone with a setup that works as consistently well as a full-size with a normal single spring. Also, the springs on the smaller guns like officer's-size usually should be replaced sooner because they take more of a beating. There is less spring coil to absorb abuse (simple mechanics of the shortened gun) and so they wear out sooner. Plus, while it is not tremendous, you lose a lot more speed in an officer's size gun than in a commander size, as compared to a full-size. The extra barrel length of a commander size does not seem to hinder concealability for most, but grip size does, hence why I like the CCO layout guns.

I have never heard anyone describe the Ultra CDP as having a longer grip or barrel. I think rdavid must have another model or is confused given the grip is officer's size and the barrel is 3.16", just about the shortest of the production 1911s (although I seem to recall somebody else made one shorter at some point).

· Registered
20 Posts
My ULTRA CDP is about a year old and has about a 1,000 rounds thru it. The only thing I changed were the mags. I went with Wilson 7 round mags.

After the initial break in period I have not had a FTF or any other problems.

The CDP has been elevated to my primary CCW weapon.

· Registered
60 Posts
Da! Sorry if I confused anybody. Maybe, I am confused by the number of names, and models out there. The point I was trying to make was; I prefer a COMMANDER size weapon, for concealment, That is to say a full size grip and a 4” barrel. Better sight plane, better control, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da. Actually I really like a full size, but for concealed carry, well hopefully you get the idea. BOTTOM LINE: buy what ever feels best in YOUR hand and is most comfortable for you to carry and shoot.

------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep
voting on the dinner menu. Liberty is a
well-armed sheep.

· Registered
2,876 Posts
rdavid, my bad on misreading your post. My apologies. I think the Pro size is much better than the Ultra.

I really enjoy reading posts where people post a limited number of rounds and satisfactory or even glowing reviews. I have been really happy with every brand new car I have purchased and one used one, for the first couple of months anyway. With 300 rounds through a gun, it isn't even broken in and may not even really need a good cleaning. Three hundred rounds is 1-2 shooting sessions for me. I have also been happy with each gun I have purchased for the first 300 rounds, no trouble with saying I was well satisfied. My point is that hearing someone is satisfied is nice, but #s like 300 rounds are really not significant for issues of reliability and performance.

· Registered
18 Posts
I have a cdp ultra light and a cdp pro carry I carry the ultra light in my front pocket and the pro carry on my hip. one weighs 25 ounces and the other weights 28 ounces some times I carry both at the same time cocked and locked.works for me.

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.