1911Forum banner

CDP vs TRP?

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  rkpagano 
#1 ·
I held a TRP earlier this week and was very impressed by the feel of it and I started thinking I might want one, then I remembered the CDP.
If I'm going to be spending around $1,000 for a 1911, which one should I buy?
I've decided not to get a Wilson or a Les Baer because, and this may not make sense, since I'm going to be using it as a carry weapon, I'd hate to lose a Wilson or a Les Baer for an indefinite period of time if I ever need to use it. I don't think I'd feel as bad losing a Springfield or a Kimber.
Any thoughts? Thanks

#2 ·
Hi,
You know, a few months ago, I would have told you hands down, no questions asked, go for the CDP, but I have been watching some of the discussion threads on the "unofficial Kimber Forum" and Kimber is beginning to scare the hell out of me. I own a Kimber Stainless Classic and a Stainless Ultra carry, I love them both....you would have to shoot me to get them away from me. Unfortunately there are more and more people that are really getting screwed by Kimber. I think thier quantity has outrun the abilities of the QC dept.
I also have a Springfield Ultra Compact from the very first production run. It too is an excellent pistol, but in my experience, Springfield's level of finish just hasn't been as good as Kimbers.....lots of VERY sharp edges, machining marks, looser slide to frame fit etc....but the accuracy and dependability hasn't suffered one bit. So.....that being said, I don't see how you could lose with either pistol, assuming that you get one that QC looked at before shipping it out. I would still have to go with the CDP....call me weak, god they're nice looking!!
But, that's just my opinion....
Good luck!! Let us know what you decide.

#3 ·
I was just looking at a TRP a couple of hours ago at my local gun shop. My buddy who runs it was telling me about how horrible the trigger was because of the new locking device on the backstrap. Apparently the thing was totally unusable until he replaced the main spring, etc. with $7 worth of Colt parts. At that point he also replaced the mag release with a Colt since it was hanging up. Even after all of this work the thing left something to be desired. I couldn't believe it. I was interested in a TRP until today. No thanks. I have owned a Kimber Ultra Elite, the earlier version of a Ultra CDP. It was very nice. I have also owned a Springfield "loaded" 1911. It was ok too. Spending over $1K and getting a dog is unacceptable no matter who made it. I'll stick with my Les Baers. Watch-Six

------------------
Get your 1911s and AR15s while you still can!

#4 ·
Got TRP about a month ago.

Locking system doesn't affect trigger at all.
Trigger is nice and crisp at 4.75#.

Over 1K rds so far, only 2 FTF, pretty sure they were caused by dirty reloads.

Fit and finish are real good.

Does shoot low from POA though. About 4
inches low at 25 yds.

Don't feel like sending it in to be adjusted.
Doesn't affect my shooting that much.

My humble opinion.
Steve.

#5 ·
Have been firing a TRP and TRP Operator for a couple of months now. Absolutely no problems with either. The Operator is one of the most comfortable guns I have ever fired with large quantities of ball ammo. Bull barrel and extended dust cover seems to dampen muzzle rise. Triggers are perfect for a carry gun. First time in a long time I haven't "lusted" over my next 45.

[This message has been edited by col132 (edited 11-15-2001).]

#6 ·
If you are going to drop a grand, look into the Wilson KZ-45. Polymer frame, new manufacture 10 round magazines, wilson quality, hard to beat that. I like my CDP, but I got it for $800 with 3 wilson 8 round mags. Tack on another $200 and it becomes less of a value. Hell, you could get a gunsite pistol or even a rock river for a grand (I think). Bottom line, your options are not limited to springfield, kimber, or high priced customs. The magic $1000 price tag opens up a lot of possibilities. LAter.

#7 ·
Depending on the jurisdiction, you may or may not lose your pistol for an indefinite period of time should you have to use it. Based on that logic, you may as well carry a $99 Makarov.

On the low end of the price scale, you can get a KZ-45, Wilson Millennium Protector, a Gunsite GSP 2000. On the upper $1000-plus range, there's the Gunsite GSP 2001, Baer Thunder Ranch Special, the special run of Burns Custom Pistols BCP 1911s for P-T Partners, and the Wilson Combat CQB or Protector. If you have to use one of these, you'll at least have something to look forward to (getting back) after the formalities are over. They're cheap life insurance.

#8 ·
I'm with Andy and Jason on this one: for the money, I would bypass both the CDP and the TRP and look for another gun entirely. My choice at this price point would probably be the GSP 2000, but Rock River Arms certainly has some worthy contenders here too.

I don't care much for Springfield pistols, so I can't say as I've paid a great deal of attention to the highs and lows of the TRP.
As for the Kimber, I really like the idea behind the CDP, but something seems to be getting lost in the actual execution of the piece. Too many problems and defects are being reported for this to qualify as a true semi-custom gun in my view. The whole point of having the custom shop create these special guns is to prevent these kinds of problems in the first place, isn't it?

Chuck

#9 ·
I have to go with some of the others. For a grand, I would look custom. Maybe Dane Burns could tell you which cheap Kimber or SA to get and the you would have about $400 worth of Dane Burns or anothers great work in it. Another custom at this price point is the Mark Krebs custom built gun which retails around a $1000 with lots of good parts and fitting.

At $1500 you could get a Wilson or a base gun with even more work from a good smith done.

At $700, the choices are fairly easy, but at $1000 plus, it is really worth looking the custom route. I hate to buy somebody elses gun at "my gun" prices.

#11 ·
I agree with Nathan. Pick an excellent smith and get his recommendation on a pistol to buy and then have the smith turn it into a piece that you will really enjoy. It will cost you right around the grand, but will delight you for years. Don't worry about resale value, because you won't want to sell it. It's be an heirloom you'll pass on to your kids.

#12 ·
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a custom 1911 from a master pistolsmithsuch as Dane Burns, Jim Hoag, Jim Garthwaite, Dick Heinie, or shops like Novak's and Wilson's.
The problem here is availability.

The high-end guns I recommended are readily available, and are truely much better values than the CDP and the TRP. My main arguement with the TRP is the 20lpi checkering. If it had 30 lpi, it would be all right, but still not on the level (IMHO) of the Gunsite GSP 2000, let alone the GSP 2001. THe Rock River Guns are slow in delivery.

I would recommend going for a GSP 2000/2001 or a Wilson Combat pistol. While going through the introduction phase with the 1911, one will have a quality sidearm that will serve with aplomb, and during one's education in 1911 lore and the esoterics of custom 1911 pistolsmithing, serve as a benchmark to truely gauge the skill of the various pistolsmiths one will encounter and the difference between a factory gun and a true custom 1911.

#13 ·
Originally posted by Andy:
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a custom 1911 from a master pistolsmithsuch as Dane Burns, Jim Hoag, Jim Garthwaite, Dick Heinie, or shops like Novak's and Wilson's.
The problem here is availability.
Very loose ballpark figure, how much does labor alone cost? I figure about $700 for my parts, a $600 gun frame (Milspec Operator). Just curious

#14 ·
I have a TRP and a Custom CDP. Have had many other pistols to including Wilson. Neither pistol is perfect. I use the CDP for Carry with a set of Slim Tech Grips in a summer special from Milt Sparks. Great carry pistol. I use the TRP for IDPA in a SIDEARMOR holster. Both good set ups. I have removed all of the Ambi-this and mag-well that stuff and replaced with Ed Brown componants. Both have run 100% so far and I am happy with both pistols.

If you don't want to do anything with your gun and be completely satisfied with it from the start. Go completely custom or Wilson or Les Baer.

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.