1911Forum banner

CDP weight?

956 7
Ive got my eye on the CDP. I havent handled one yet but its looks good on the website. I like the full size.

I have a question about the weight. Is it a lightweight frame? Like aluminum? The Colts and Springfields I have fired felt good to me because of the heavy weight. Im concerned that if the CDP is too light it will not have the same feel. I need to find a place where I can rent one for the range before I buy.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
735 Posts
The CDP does have an aluminum alloy frame, not positive on the weght exactly but I would say it is between 28-30 oz + or - less magazine. The CDP is not meant to be an everyday shooter and the lighter weight will make it feel different with a little sharper recoil but I don't mind it a bit on my UCDP. The CDP (Custom Defense Package) is meant and was designed to be carry 16/7 with less stress of a heavier gun on your side all day. The slide is also melted for carry and really is a nice gun, some think it is done up to much! but I like them and carry one.

CG.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SgtRich said:
The Kimber Custom CDP II (full size, 5" bbl) weighs 31 ounces.

I'm picking mine up later today!!! They have an alloy frame, a steel slide and the weight/heft feels great!
SgtRich, definatly report back and let me know how it shoots. I need to hold one and shoot one and thats all there is to it.

My perfect scenario is 2 guns: a smaller gun to carry concealed - I'm thinking and 40 S&W maybe an HK; and a full size 1911 - I've been looking at Colt and Kimber.

When I saw the CDP I thought I could pull a 2 birds with 1 stone play. But I dont want to skimp on the 1911 and I want one that will last. This is why Im a little leary about the alloy frame.

Any ideas?

· Registered
993 Posts
Kimber claims the frame shows no visible wear at 20,000 rds. If you plan to give your gun HEAVY range use, a steel gun might be more appropriate, but to carry the CDP takes the cake .

Now the bad news. I have an early pre-Series II with an internal extractor. I got tired of the slide and small parts darkening in storage even though I kept it well lubed. My gunsmith said the metal was so porous that it collected moisture. I finally had all the small parts and the slide hard chromed, and it looks great. Topped it off with a set of smooth grips from Esmeralda and a trigger job. My smith has tuned the extractor but I have had a few failures. My friends always grab it when they look at my guns over the custom stuff. Go figure...Tom

· Registered
381 Posts
Brauma,

Like tpdtom says, unless you're planning on doing an AWFUL lot of shooting at the range, the alloy frame will definitely not be a problem.

For carry purposes, after doing a lot of research, I decided that the Kimber Custom CDP II would suit my needs better than any other 1911 .45 cal. pistol that I looked at.

· Registered
1,230 Posts
The Custom CDP is a real nice pistol. I was carrying a full size TLE until I found a deal on a pre series II CDP. The CDP knocks 10 oz. off my belt compared to the TLE, that makes a pretty good difference by the end of the day. I used my CDP for shooting plate racks the other day and surprised folks on how well a light weight carry gun shoots. The full size CDP guns have a good balance for me and since I carry IWB, the barrel length is no problem for concealment.

· Registered
35 Posts
FWIW, I just picked up an Elite Carry, which is the 4" slide on officer's frame.

Believe it or not, it's actually HEAVIER than my Colt Gunsite CCO. The frames weigh the same, but the slide & barrel on the Colt is noticeably lighter, due to the traditional barrel bushing. The bull barrel of the Kimber, coupled with the slide to accommodate it, has much more metal to it.

I'm not sure of the exact weight difference, but it's probably on the order of 3 to 5 ounces.

I still like the Kimber better, though. Its trigger, sights, and "gripability" are far superior to that of the Colt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.