1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what makes a CDP over a regular Kimber?
In my case a compact.

plunker

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think CDP of any size is
1). Alloy frame
2). Frame is coated with "proprietary" Teflon finish (which is just like everyone else's proprietary teflon finish
3). Slide is Stainless
4). Reliability package
5). melted profile (dehorned)

Your compact is just that.....compact. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The CDP stands for Custom defense pistol.

It features:

1. A meltdown treament. Much of the slide and frame have the sharp eadges drastic removed and smoothed. This helps to prevent snags and makes it more comfortable to carry.

2. Aluminum frame - reduces weight for more comfortable carry.

3. Additional stippling on the frame. Kimber adds it on the bottom of the trigger guard and on the front of the grip frame...where your fingers grip. This will enhance your ablity to keep a grip on the gun...especial with sweaty or we hands.

4. Night sight...in low/little/or no lighting situations it helps to be able to see the target.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The "metldown" job is more radical than any others on the market and is probably the single most destinctive feature of the CDP's.

MadDog :p

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
45_THUD said:
I think CDP of any size is
1). Alloy frame
2). Frame is coated with "proprietary" Teflon finish (which is just like everyone else's proprietary teflon finish
3). Slide is Stainless
4). Reliability package
5). melted profile (dehorned)

Your compact is just that.....compact. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
My gun is just what!!! You can call me names but leave my horse...err pistol alone.:D

So the CDP is exrenal trimmings. There is no upgrades on the internal parts (Triggers etc..) I like the looks of my friends which is blue frame ,ss slide, wood grips and night sites. But not for $300. more than I paid for my "just a compact"

plunker

·
Registered
171 Posts
please forgive me....no disrespect was intended. i have "Just a Stainless Pro Carry" that I think the world of.......

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
plunker said:
So the CDP is exrenal trimmings. There is no upgrades on the internal parts (Triggers etc..) I like the looks of my friends which is blue frame ,ss slide, wood grips and night sites. But not for $300. more than I paid for my "just a compact"
Pretty much correctomundo. Yes, the triggers may be different... one has two holes and the other has three... that's it. The guts are essentially the same. Your friends is not blued, it's black anodized. The $300 difference is only what you can see... front strap checkering, grips, night sights and carry "melt" (that looks like it's produced from a Play-Doh mold ;) )... which may well be worth the cash. I'm not so sure you could pay a 'smith to do all that work and add those parts for under $300.

:D

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is kind of what I thought. The Kimber compact (only one I have) is the best pistol I have ever shot. I think I have purchased eight pistols before I found one that is fit for me.

I like the CDP stuff but I also like the looks of my pistol.

plunker

·
Banned
141 Posts
Diablo said:
The CDP stands for Custom defense pistol.

It features:

3. Additional stippling on the frame. Kimber adds it on the bottom of the trigger guard and on the front of the grip frame...where your fingers grip. This will enhance your ablity to keep a grip on the gun...especial with sweaty or we hands.
When did Kimber begin to add stippling (or checkering) to the bottom od the trigger guard? Mine Pro CDP II is from 2003 and it does not have it (not that I need it, just curious)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I believe that the Ultra CDP Elite II and Ultra CDP Elite STS II were the first, and only ones. they were released in 2002.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts