1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love this forum,

But it seems to me that threads are getting closed on whims. I do understand threads being closed for bad behavior and/or very offensive topics.

But closing a thread becouse it does not relate enough to guns is crazy.
A thread about Cooperism's was closed, a thread about being shot by a 50 BMG was closed. Both in general gun disscussion.

This is a Gun Forum, IMHO both of these qualified for the topic of the room.

As gun owners we endorse the 2nd, but how about the 1st.

Please rethink about polocies concerning thread closings.

·
Registered
504 Posts
if the government were running this board, you'd have point. Neither the 1st nor the 2nd Amendments apply here - they are restrictions on the State, not individuals or private property owners.

If you disagree with a moderator, PM him or her and discuss it. :cool: :)

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Dear north,

Please keep in mind that I am just a moderator here and not the owner, nor the person who sets the rules and guidelines. 1911 Forum seeks to present itself in a certain manner. It is intended to be a place for "civil" discussions mainly about 1911s specifically but also about certain other firearms and political issues. We do not want it to become a free for all, as some other forums are, with insults flying left and right. The same goes for the use of foul language. While in some houses it's common place, in others it is not tolerated, 1911 Forum is among the latter.

As for the thread about the soldier being hit with the .50 bullets that is basically off topic. The reason being that a discussion of it would really serve no useful purpose other than to prove or disprove some story which came out of the Vietnam War. Since it is only indirectly involved with a question about firearms it really doesn't belong on a site dedicated to firearms. If we still had a general discussion forum that would be the proper place for it. I'm sure there are plenty of military and war related sites where it could be more appropriately addressed by people with much more knowledge on the subject.

What it boils down to is that decisions are made based on the rules and guidelines. There aren't any "arbitrary" bannings, closings, editings, deletions, etc... If you, or any other member, has a question about a specific action you should email or pm that forums moderator(s) or the moderator/administrator who performed the act. I hope this helps explain a little bit about how this site is run. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions. Happy Thanksgiving! Gary

G

·
No one is being censored, but the rules that "everyone" agreed to are being applied. So it should be no surprise that the 1911 Forum is not a free for all. The name of the forum should be a real indication to anyone on what this site is about.

It isn't about what type of socks do you prefer, what's your favorite beer or Who's better Ginger or Mary Ann.

As far as the Cooperism's and the 50 BMG thread, I didn't read either of them before they were locked, but by simply reading the heading of what the "General" section is for, it wasn't difficult at all to figure out.

Here is the heading line of that section for reference.

"Discuss non-1911 firearms and 1911 related questions that DO NOT fit well in the other forums"

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
The Cooperism thread was closed because it was off topic. Cooper is a guru - no doubt - but his ideologies and thoughts are not the basis for discussion on this forum necessarily. Ayoob, Smith, Hackathorn et al also have opinions/views/ideologies but we are not here to debate an individual's views on how they relate to firearms. I realize this is a very gray area, but the Staff of this site decides what is allowed and what is not.

The same reasoning is applied to the .50 BMG thread. The thread was not about the .50 BMG - it was about being shot with one. A subtle, but distinct difference. This is a quote from the thread that was closed:

"Somewhere I heard about a serviceman in the Vietnam War who took multiple (the number I recall is 3) hits from a .50 BMG and survived. Does anyone know of this story and what its source is? I'd love to verify it."

This is only firearms related in the sense that someone was shot by one. There is no merit in a discussion of a topic like this. People get shot with weapons all the time. That does not make them the basis for firearm-related discussions.

·
Administrator
74,631 Posts
We once had a General Discussion (non-firearms) forum here. It was closed because too many people couldn't remain civil. After a few months it was re-instated, but then it went right back to being overrun by trolls and idiots who never posted anywhere but there, trying to stir the pot. As a result we no longer encourage non-firearm discussion on this forum.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used the wrong word for my thread subject. I'm not sure which one I should have used but "censorship" was the wrong one.

I was hoping to get the rules of engagement lossened up a bit. It doesn't seem like that will happen.

It also appears that a "General Discussion" room is a very bad Idea.

Is there room for another discussion area. There needs to be a place to talk about Col. Jeff Cooper and his Ideas on the 1911 forum. This man did more for the 1911 than anyone else besides Mr John Browning himself.

Is there a place for a true general gun discussion?

Any thoughts?:confused:

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
north said:
Is there room for another discussion area. There needs to be a place to talk about Col. Jeff Cooper and his Ideas on the 1911 forum.
Dear north,

I have a lot of respect for Col. Cooper and enjoy reading his thoughts on all subjects. Once he even took the time to personally answer in great detail a question on the M16 that I wrote to him about. Our actions here have nothing at all to do with preventing the discussion of his ideas. The issue deals with which of those ideas fit into our format here.

Let me just try and clear up what we have just said. There is already a place here to talk about his ideas in regards to the 1911. Shooting tips, caliber opinions, rifle/handgun design, etc... can all be discussed in the proper forums right here on 1911 Forum. His opinions on manners, society in general, morals, etc... are not subjects which may be covered here. These fall under the "general discussion" category so there is no place for them to fit. I hope that this has made the policy a little clearer. Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving day! Gary

·
Premium Member
15,951 Posts
I was interested in the thread that got closed this morning about Saddam's pistol he was captured with and whether it was a 1911. Of course, it would have been a Hi-Power, but that certainly seemed an appropriate topic for the General Gun Discussion. Perhaps the moderators ought to lighten up a little - it's not like they were discussing the Redskins or something - it was about guns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I for one really appreciate the job these moderators are doing. I've made less than 5 posts, but I frequent this forum quite often for the good info that I find.

As a runner I used to frequent the Runner's World Forum. If you want to see what can happen when moderators don't do their job, go visist the Letter and Opinions forum over there. Please, don't let that happen here! I can't believe the amount of :barf: that is spewed over there!

Keep up the good work!

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
1saxman said:
I was interested in the thread that got closed this morning about Saddam's pistol he was captured with and whether it was a 1911. Of course, it would have been a Hi-Power, but that certainly seemed an appropriate topic for the General Gun Discussion. Perhaps the moderators ought to lighten up a little - it's not like they were discussing the Redskins or something - it was about guns.
It was not closed...what was going on was a duplicate thread topic. The proper venue was in the Legal and Political Forum where the topic originally was initiated early this morning. Then along came the one that was started in the General Gun Forum. Note: General gun, not politics. Ergo, the General Gun thread was closed down by Shane and then I further commented on it to clarify what Shane had done and why.

This does not constitute censorship! The thread is still alive and well in the proper place for it: http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66185

BA Brad: Thank you for your words.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts