1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I got a renewed interest in picking up an AK. Prices have come down some, except for people that bought them high during the madness and still think they can sell them for the same thing.

I'm finding a lot of California compliant guns selling for <$500 on Gun Broker. As far as I can tell, to un-California-molest them may not be that big of a deal. Or is it?

I'm watching others that are going unsold for $500-$600 on GB but missed out paying $650 for one locally. :D I shook my head. :)

What's to watch out for or look for if it's not a new from Century Arms?

·
Registered
10 Posts
What's to watch out for or look for if it's not a new from Century Arms?
It's highly dependent on which model we're discussing. If it's a Romanian import like a SAR-1, WASR-10, etc, then just looking for a gun without a canted Front Sight Block or Gas Block is good enough. For rifles that they built from a parts kit, some were built well (most of the Yugo M70* builds are fine) and some weren't (many Polish Tantal builds were put together with incorrectly sized barrels, and will keyhole consistently).

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most are WASR-10. Also some Yugo's. Buying from an out of state dealer makes it tough on something like this, but if they're truly new from Century Arms, I'd hope they'd be straight.

I'm also interested in undoing the Cali complaint part. I'm sire that's why those seem to be selling for slightly less.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
I have had good luck with a WASR-10 but horrible luck with GP-1975.

I would say stay away from 1975's but that is based on a sample size of one.

Man, I miss the days when these rifles were 450 bucks.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
My WASR 10/63 has ran excellent for me, and actually shoots very good with the irons at 50 and 100 yards. For the money I put into mine I've been very satisfied. Based on what you hear about Century AK's (canted front sights, etc...) I would want to perform an in hand check before I bought one though.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I actually had a WASR 10/63 with a canted front sight. You can fix them easy enough. It requires a large hammer, a drift, a drill, and penetrating oil. If you're a little handy, a canted sight is no big deal. Hell, I've used it as a bargaining tool.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have had good luck with a WASR-10 but horrible luck with GP-1975.

I would say stay away from 1975's but that is based on a sample size of one.

Man, I miss the days when these rifles were 450 bucks.
Not surprised. The gp1975 rifles were made with reject military parts that century cobbled together. The wasr is a factory made ak imported by century.

I've had plenty of century rifles and have had good luck with them. They are great shooters but are worthless to the collector.

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you can find a Wasr-10 that has a non-canted gas block and front sight, and a non-wobbly mag well, it'll probably do the job just fine. The hardest part of getting a good Wasr-10 is finding a good Wasr-10.

That said, I must have terrible luck, because every Wasr I've ever handled was canted and wobbly. Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of Century, in general. Most of their imports are fine. Mosins, Mausers, etc. That said, anything that has required any conversion or assembly, such as their home-built FALs and many of their AKs are sub-par.

I'm a big fan of buy once, cry once, so I'd skip the Wasr, myself. An SAR-1 is about as close to an eastern-bloc AKM as you'll find, and they go for around the same prices as Wasrs on gunbroker.

If you're willing to wait and save up for a bit longer, you won't regret an Arsenal SLR, selling in the 900 range.

Both are excellent rifles, and both are (in my opinion) superior to the Wasr.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts