1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hand saws are an important part of any tool kit.
There's no denying that.
But this is about after a calamity
when access might be blocked by windfall, and needs to be cleared quickly for emergency vehicles or evacuations.

·
Registered
23,010 Posts
As stated earlier, it is good to have options.

There's no denying that.
when access might be blocked by windfall, and needs to be cleared quickly for emergency vehicles or evacuations.
But generally speaking the Stihl is the first choice, calamity or other wise. Plenty of sharp chains and fuel always on hand. Just picked up another couple of gallons of bar oil the other day.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
There's no denying that.
I'm not saying that you shouldn't be prepared, but in every recent major storm that I've seen here, emergency personnel are very well equipped along these lines. Local fire departments, power company, etc.
If there are trees down that are anywhere involved with the overhead lines, which is probably the most common scenario, the best course of action is to stay completely away from them.
L.

·
Registered
23,010 Posts
This has been my experience as well.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be prepared, but in every recent major storm that I've seen here, emergency personnel are very well equipped along these lines. Local fire departments, power company, etc.
If there are trees down that are anywhere involved with the overhead lines, which is probably the most common scenario, the best course of action is to stay completely away from them.
L.
Saw the emergency guys using one of those Stihl abrasive cut off saws to take apart a guard rail once. The ones with the 14" blade. It cut through that stuff like it has not even there. They can cut concrete also. Have to get one of those puppies. :rock:

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I collect and repair chainsaws. I had a firewood business for decades.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I've had three Huskys---all very good saws with the last being a 372 XP with a 28" bar (it found a home on a ranch in the mountains with plenty of Ponderosa pines) but I'm really happy with the Stihl 250---a lot easier on the ol' back for me.

·
Premium Member
11,419 Posts
Last year's Hurricane Michael dropped trees across our road in 4 places. Some of the tree falls covered 150 feet or more of the road. We were blocked in for over a week and without power for 11 days. Fortunately I had a generator, plenty of fuel, a 4 wheel drive to go overland/across fields/through the woods to get out to buy more fuel when/if needed, …. and a chain saw. It came in very handy. We had plenty of food and the generator kept the refrigerator and freezer running so we only lost a couple gallons of ice cream. I have steadily been revising/rebuilding my disaster plan and kit to fit our needs. An additional chain saw, tune up items, and spare parts are on the list.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
My Stihl failed to start today. First time in 15 years. It will be at the dealer/hospital tomorrow. I knew when it did not start ..... it was no going to start. It’ll be back on line by weeks end. I figure it deserves a spa day at the dealer, it has bailed out myself and many neighbors for a long time.

·
Premium Member
11,419 Posts
My Stihl failed to start today. First time in 15 years. It will be at the dealer/hospital tomorrow. I knew when it did not start ..... it was no going to start …
Yep. An often overlooked part of preparedness is doing regular maintenance on your tools that will be critical to your recovery effort. I have been negligent in the past. All part of my personal disaster plan checklist now. At my age I live by checklists. Part of that stems from my military background, the rest from my inability to concentrate (attraction to whatevershiny object that is currently within my view).

·
Registered
23,010 Posts
Stay away from gas with Ethanol in it.

My Stihl failed to start today. First time in 15 years. It will be at the dealer/hospital tomorrow. I knew when it did not start ..... it was no going to start. It’ll be back on line by weeks end. I figure it deserves a spa day at the dealer, it has bailed out myself and many neighbors for a long time.
More and more I have been going to using Tru Fuel synthetic fuel. It is expensive but worth it. And run your saw dry before putting it up for any length of time.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Fortunately (or unfortunately) my saw is used more than monthly year round. The fuel is less than a week old and running in other Stihl tools. Running it dry is a good policy if you know it is going dormant for awhile. I have the luxury of a burn pile to dump mine if a project is finished....that just doesn’t seem to occur lately. I am trying something new. If you use a chainsaw case, you know it accumulates oil in the bottom. Instead of using old towels I am giving disposable diapers a try to line the case bottom when my saw comes back on line. Tune in later.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Any of you guys use a chain breaking tool? If so what kind.
My Stihl is a quick no tool chain swap model. I take the easy way out and carry spare chains. I’ll leave the chain maintenance to the shop. I’ll work on my guns but not my chainsaws. You gotta save something for the other guy.

·
Registered
23,010 Posts
This gets my vote.

My Stihl is a quick no tool chain swap model. I take the easy way out and carry spare chains. I’ll leave the chain maintenance to the shop. I’ll work on my guns but not my chainsaws. You gotta save something for the other guy.
I can and have sharpened my own chains. And I will continue to be set up to do so. But as time and age progress, I find myself more and more less inclined to do so. If I can pay the kid down at the store to do a good job sharpening a chain for me for five bucks. This is more often than not the way that I go.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The thing is, chains aren't cheap. How many spare chains can you budget for and what happens when they get dull and the shop is closed because of, you know, some disaster?

·
Registered
23,010 Posts
Me two

I’ll run out of many more things before I run out of saws or chains.
The last time that I checked I had ten sharpened chains for the 362 on hand including several that are brand new. Six chains for the 310, And three for the pole saw. Plenty of fuel is always on hand as well as bar and chain oil.

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts
I have always had bad luck with chainsaws. Here in the subtropic part of the country we have tons of soft wood trees and shrubs like Brazilian peppers and ficus trees. The problem is they almost always clog the chain works. The pulp mixes with the bar oil and just makes it a mess. I often have to carry Allen keys, nut drivers and screw drivers with me when I am out clearing brush just to keep the saw going.

Anyone else have this problem? Solution?

·
Premium Member
11,419 Posts
The thing is, chains aren't cheap. How many spare chains can you budget for and what happens when they get dull and the shop is closed because of, you know, some disaster?
Well, if you are preparing for a disaster, especially one that may last for a while, you had better have some spares. A broken chain will leave you helpless regardless of the ability to sharpen. Nothing wrong with letting a shop do your sharpening if your time is better spent on other things. You can still have files (and guides if needed) to do it yourself when the disaster keeps you from getting to the shop.
Same goes for plugs ,filters, etc.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts