1911Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Than it will with higher Octane. With that said. If you are really looking to provide yourself with a lot of usable firewood. The saw is just part of it. You will also need to have a good saw horse. Additionally you will need to have a way of placing heavy logs in your saw horse. A good set of pallet forks for your tractor will serve you well in this regard.
That's what I've always seen referred to as a sawbuck, USMM guy.
Shaped like an X, hence a $10 bill is a sawbuck, and $20 is a double sawbuck, XX.
(your woodcutting history lesson is now over, ;) )

·
Registered
23,511 Posts
Yes OK LE.

That's what I've always seen referred to as a sawbuck, USMM guy.
Shaped like an X, hence a $10 bill is a sawbuck, and $20 is a double sawbuck, XX.
(your woodcutting history lesson is now over, ;) )
Back from when a "sawbuck" could actually buy something. So did I pass the history lesson or not?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Back from when a "sawbuck" could actually buy something. So did I pass the history lesson or not?
It will still buy about four or five 5 cent cups of coffee.
And yes, you'll probably make the Honor Roll. :barf:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Chainsaws love them as much as 1911s . Have done tree work most of my life and accumulated 25 running Stihl saws from the old 020 up to the MS 880 .

I keep a saw in every truck and cant count the number of times I have cut a tree out of the road way and saved having to backtrack through the mountains . If you have a saw learn how to sharpen it .

If you have the dexterity and patients to sharpen a knife shaving sharp on a stone you should have no problem using a file and sharpening a saw .

That said treat your saw chain like you would the crown of your pistol barrel . Keep it out of the dirt . Makes for much less sharpening It is not a mini ditch witch . Stihl sells premixed gas with no ethanol a must for the just in case box . I store all my saws with this gas in it and have no problems

·
Registered
294 Posts
I live in the boonies and heat with wood. I've been cutting my own firewood for over 30 years. I'm now using a Husqvarna 359 saw. Just finished cutting up several large oak trees blown down in a recent storm. I have one piece of advice for any chainsaw owner, or anyone thinking of getting one. Buy the book entitled "To Fell a Tree" by Jeff Jepson. I guarantee even seasoned wood cutters will learn from this book. I know 2 professional arborists who agree it is the "loggers bible". He also wrote "The Tree Climbers Companion", the bible for arborists who must fell trees from the top down.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Usually that E-10 gas will eat up your carburetor over time.
The carb, the hoses, the impulse line.

I’m stocked up on the 50:1 pre mix in cans by the cases it lasts 3 years it’s non ethanol gas.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Use the kerosene to clean the bar and in cold weather when the oiler is not running well thin the oil. Still looking for a chain break tool. Any info would be great.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Use the kerosene to clean the bar and in cold weather when the oiler is not running well thin the oil. Still looking for a chain break tool. Any info would be great.
Try your local bicycle shop. They should have a "pin pusher". (least thats what we called chain tools when I was mt. bike racing)

A bike chain tool may not work, but you asked for "any info."

Take the chain with you to the bike shop and see if it works.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Never took a fancy to lifting long logs onto a saw buck just to cut logs. Too much extra heavy lifting! To be honest, I never took a fancy to lifting every dang round on a base log just to whack it with a maul. Too much extra heavy lifting!

Now, one of them there tractor- like cutting accessories would sure be fine -- let the FEL do some heavy lifting and dumping! Hope to pull the trigger on one when this madness subsides, the income stream from the real job picks up again, and one more kid gets off of the college tuition drain with job in hand (he already accepted an offer; hope it is still valid come June!).

81 - 90 of 90 Posts