1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm new to EB. Can anyone tell me if the chainlink on the SF's is similar to the patterning on Kimbers Raptor series? I handled one this am, and I'm not sure I'm thrilled with it. Thanks ahead of time for any info.

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
JHead45, since I only own the KC with snakeskin treatment ang all my other pistols came with checkering, I'm actually looking forward to the CL. I recently ordered a NHC with the chain link treatment on front strap and msh, I'm looking forward to it. I can say that the snakeskin treatment on my KC and checkering on my LB Thunder Ranch Commanche work quite well as far as a firm grip. Though the checkering on the LB is a bit more abrasive for my tastes I'm looking forward to the chain-link on my NHC that I ordered. I could say that potentially in an extended period of use of different pistols with different treatments, I think the checkering would be the first to cause any discomfort. My KC with the snakesking is superb, though others may disagree saying that it's too smooth (for lack of better words) I would not expect an extended SD situation that would cause sweat to become a factor. As mentioned, I'm looking forward to the chainlink treatment as a happy medium...based on what I've been reading!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I have a SF with the chainlink and I have a buddy who has a Raptor. The pattern on the Kimber is a little more toothy to the touch and has a completely different appearance than the chainlink on the SF.

·
Registered
364 Posts
IMHO the chainlink is more subtle and works better >

than what others offer that looks like chainlink. I do not like checkering and the Ed Brown chainlink is the perfect alturnative to having nothing at all or something that works well in wet, cold and or dry conditions without being to harsh on one's sensitive hands :) Chainlink or a very subtle stippling is the only way to go for me. I used my Ed Brown SF today while wearing tactical gloves as it was 35 degrees when we started shooting this morning, and the pistol felt great and shot well all things considered.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
First time I didn't learn something from Mr. Greyson. :biglaugh:
Ok then...

As someone who has owned more than my share of Kimber 1911s the machining can be VERY rough. Even their CDP line can cause significant hand wear. I held one of their Raptor line and literally laughed out loud at how sharp it was. While this would be fine for a SWAT officer with Nomex gloves, for the average civilian customer, the Raptor finish is going to be a wake-up at gun-school.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I hated the feel of the raptor and am glad to hear that there is no comparison. I'm looking forward to a SF Carry, non-bobbed with black? VZ Aliens in the near future.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Well, I have a Raptor II and I installed the EB chainlink maxi well. I just checked the feel and they feel similar to me. Just enough grip and not too rough. The pattern is similar in appearance and texture, yet not as rough as my cbob. I find it a usable alternative.
Ryan

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I would say the Raptor version is more similar to EB Snakeskin. I have no use for chainlink. Does nothing for grip, imo.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I would say the Raptor version is more similar to EB Snakeskin. I have no use for chainlink. Does nothing for grip, imo.
I agree with this and what Emerson said. The Raptor and the EB Snakeskin are too harsh for my taste. My CL though is perfect.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
The EB CL is REALLY nice. Easy to have a large round count day, good purchase and nicely executed. Never cut me a bit, even with +P loads and nude hands.

The Kimber is, like Greyson said, rough....almost a lack of a final smoothing or something. Maybe they build it that way.

After all the 1911's I've owned I find that I prefer smooth/20LPI rear, 30LPI(hand done) front/20lpi rear or the EB CL on both ends.

None of the other variants really "bother" me but these above, I like the best.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Well, I have a Raptor II and I installed the EB chainlink maxi well. I just checked the feel and they feel similar to me. Just enough grip and not too rough. The pattern is similar in appearance and texture, yet not as rough as my cbob. I find it a usable alternative.
Ryan
In fairness to Kimber, I first handled one when they first came out. They might have adjusted the machining for a better finish since then.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
I personally have not had any first hand experience with the Raptor so I can not speak to it.

As for the SF chain link, I think it is very effective as well as comfortable. To my way of thinking it strikes a great balance between function and comfort and great looks.

Checkering is classic, and I love the looks, but put enough rounds downrange in a day it will show you why it is so effective. :eek:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nah .... I don't think so. It's still harsh.
It is a little rough. However, if you have reasonably thick skin on your hands it isn't a problem for up to at least 500 rounds in a session. It may be fine for a lot more but I have only done up to 500 rounds at a time with my Raptor.

I very much prefer the checkering on my Executive Carry. It feels better and it looks better in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I bought a Kobra when EB first rolled them out (however many years ago that's been) and was rather unenamoured with the scallopping.

I still have the Kobra (who would be foolish enough to sell one?) and the grip has kind of grown on me.

I prefer a 25 - 30 LPI checkering for an optimal grip on a 1911.

The worst I have experienced in the 20 LPI checkering on my SA Trophy Match and TRP Operator. That is real hand-eating checkering.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts