1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. Need your advice.

I picked up a previously owned but never fired Commander sized Champion today. Got it for a steal. I plan on making this a project gun and doing some customization, and I need some input from y'all. With that in mind, some questions for you (and please no flames as I'm sure as heck not an expert):

1 Is this considered a Series 70 or Series 80 for the purposes of firing pins, extractors, etc?

2 Has anyone out there had the recoil spring assembly plate break on them? Are spares available out there, either from aftermarket people or from Springfield? Colt Defenders have the same set-up, and to get a spare I literally had to write the president of Colt himself. Really! I know this isn't a Colt, but I'm a little concerned about this issue.

3 Along the lines, is it possible to replace this assembly with a full length guide rod and recoil spring? If so, what poundage would you recommend for the spring?

4 I want to replace the MSH with a bobtail MSH. Other than pinning the internal lock during the original MSH removal, is there any other procedures I need to be aware of with this internal lock?

I thank you for your time. I really hope to enjoy this pistol and appreciate all of the postings on this forum.

Mike

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Ok I dont know what recoil spring and guide rod system you have. SA has had several different setups for the Champion. This is one of the rare times I say definately find a full length guide rod. The original setup was a BEAR to reassemble.

I think 22lbs is the correct weight for a recoil spring.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, found out today that the MSH can be easily replaced without any problems. Also, this is a Series 70 pistol so I now know which parts to order.

However, the guide rod issue remains. Does anyone out there have any idea if Springfield's recoil spring/guide rod assembly can be replaced with a full length guide rod and Wolff spring? If so, what poundage spring do you recommend?

As a reference, Kimber recommends 22 pounds in their ProCDP pistols.

Thanks

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.