1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I got a Springfield .45 GI Champion Milspec without knowing anything about it or 1911s for that matter but i picked it up and had to have it anyway i went to the range and shot 100rds no problems at all i love this gun. So i got online to read more about it and found this great forum now im hooked on the gun and the forum lol. My question is what catagorey is my gi champion milspec in (government. commander. officer. other.) sum help on this would be great.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds like you enjoy it, so I would say it's a great choice. Go out and shoot it.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
hey you got through the first 100 rounds! springfield makes a good gun, and if you read around on here you will find their customer service is top notch.

what i would do if i were you is learn to field strip it ( dont worry about detail stripping at this point) and read do some searching on the internet and these forums and find the best places to oil it.

if you take care of the pistol, it should give you years of enjoyment, (and protection)

welcome to the springer family

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey you got through the first 100 rounds! springfield makes a good gun, and if you read around on here you will find their customer service is top notch.

what i would do if i were you is learn to field strip it ( dont worry about detail stripping at this point) and read do some searching on the internet and these forums and find the best places to oil it.

if you take care of the pistol, it should give you years of enjoyment, (and protection)

welcome to the springer family

russel
SDMF
tore it all apart before i shot it the first time. Now time to get rid of the ILS i have a lot of guns and work on all of them. I never got into 1911 cause i like a lot of rounds but now that im older 7rds is fine with me. I wish i would have gotten a 1911 sooner ive been missing out on a great gun. 2morrow i am buying 2 more.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Time to change a few parts and get rid of the ILS. So how does this order look?

mainspring cap
mainspring housing
mainspring cap pin
commander style hammer
23lb mainspring
sear spring
beaver tail grip safety
aluma grips slim line
ultralight match trigger
slim line grip screws
slim line grip screw bushings

these parts show for the commander but they should work in the .45 gi champion milspec with the 4inch BBR correct??

·
Registered
445 Posts
i would say leave it stock till you start to get the feel of firing it. and then from there replace what you think would improve shooting it. at least put a couple boxes through it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3:22 AM just got done with my gun fitted the beavertail replaced the ILS installed new hammer and trigger. I put everything back together and i will try it out at daylight if it shoots good i will send it off for coating. I am trying to post pics now. Also i have never did this before and it took me 12hrs I know a lot of ppl could have did it faster but i wanted to take my time.

·
Registered
673 Posts
welcome to the world of 1911s, now kiss your spare change good-bye

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I think it came out good for my first time doing this type of work. If yall see something i did worng plz tell me it wont hurt my feelings. I went to the range and it ate 500rds no jams of anykind i am happy. Also I want to say thanks to this fourm and its members. OH i stopped at the gun ghop on the way home and spent my spare change LOL and picked up two more 1911s.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
The Jerry Kuhnhausen books (2) on gunsmithing the 1911 are an excellant source of info from basic stuff to advanced. I think the two volumes are about $60 for the pair. Lots of drawings and schematics.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
You forgot to change out the sights. And you didn't lower and flare the ejection port with a Dremel. :barf:

Did you polish the feed ramp and recut and throat the bbl? :confused:

Get with the program.

Just kidding. Nice. I let the Custom Shop do the serious work. :rock:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great job! My local gunshop has GI champions for $459 NIB right now. I am seriously thinking about getting one to keep my government model mil spec company. One less inch of barrel in the holster would be ok.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You forgot to change out the sights. And you didn't lower and flare the ejection port with a Dremel. :barf:

Did you polish the feed ramp and recut and throat the bbl? :confused:

Get with the program.

Just kidding. Nice. I let the Custom Shop do the serious work. :rock:
I am not done i am going to wait on coating. I have more work i want to do. I think i will do sum work on it then shoot it then do more work shoot it again that way if something gives trouble it will help me find the problem right now i know what i have done works so now its time to take it to the next step. I just dont want to get too far ahead of myself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts