1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a used stainless Champion about an hour ago; stripped & cleaned it, and am headed off to the range now:rock:

While reading the owners manual, it stated that +P is not recommended for pistols under 5". My understanding was that you didn't want to shoot +p in aluminum frames or old pistols. (This pistol is steel framed)

So what's up? I have a bunch of Gold Dot +P in 200gr. left over from my last pistol, a Colt 1991, and would like to use it. BTW, this wont be a steady diet, just occasional use of the +p, with 90% of my shooting done with WWB.

Am off to the range now, and will try a magazine of the +p anyway. If that 2-piece barrel KBs, then it'll be awful hard to type a follow-up post with missing fingers:mummy:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I recently started using MagTech 165gr SCHP (Solid Copper Hollow Points)+P as my carry ammo. I've put about 400 rds of it thru my stainless Ultra Compact with no noticable ill effects. Ninety percent of my shooting is with standard pressure230 gr FMJ loads. I typically shoot a couple of magazines of my carry ammo at each range session.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I once had the very same pistol and was also surprised when I read that. From everything I have ever heard from gunsmiths and long time shooters is that the quality of that weapon is more than sufficient to handle +p loads. I have shot many +p rounds through mine and experienced no problems. Granted, I never x-rayed the frame or slide to check for cracks. I'm curious if this is a way that SA could possibly nulify the lifetime warranty on the 3" and 4" models and/or protect themselves civilly in case of a KB with +p stuff.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow up

After a issue with a bad FP retainer, the pistol is now fixed and doing very well, even with the +P loads (Think you're correct Mr Withasee, SA is probably covering their butts in case a pistol ever KB's)

Groups are acceptable; 4-5" @ 25 yards with all types of ammo (Wolf, WWB, Gold dots in 200+p & 230gr non +P. Not bad with that 500lb trigger pull it has right now:rolleyes: That'll be fixed soon enough, 4lbs will be about right for me, have a great gunsmith, but his turnaround will be a month. Guess lots of others like his work too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Get the 24# spring!

Wolff has the 24 pound spring for your gun. Get it. I have over 2000 +P rounds through my Champion Stainless, it still handles whatever I give it. I have 10k plus total rounds in my gun, I usually change springs at the 500-750 round interval, and I have no peening in my pistol at all.
Best luck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
24lb spring?

Wolff says 22lb is the OEM spring. Do you have any trouble when shooting WWB, Wolf, or other non +p ammo?

Also, don't know about yours, but my Champion has a 2-piece recoil spring with one spring being captive. Are you replacing the big spring only, or both of them?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Right, forgot about that.

I have a full length guide rod on mine from Wilson Combat. (It's been on there so long I forgot it didn't come that way.)
If you want to replace the 22lb factory spring, your only choice is to get away from the captive spring design, unless you can somehow get your factory guide rod apart. I couldn't get mine to unthread, even after some real persuasion, so I spent the $30 at Brownells and got the FLGR. Easy as pie to change out. The only drawback to the new system is that you need a paper clip or similar item to field strip. Annoying, but you get used to it.
If you want to shoot +P in your Champion in factory twim, it will not hurt it. These are tough, well-built guns, and they hold up very well to the very moderate pounding that +P loads hand out.
To answer your question: I can shoot factory 230 grain hardball in my gun with the 24# spring no problem. I have to switch back to the 22# weight to get reliable cycling with target 185 grain loads. (Very accurate with this ammo, BTW.) I shoot WWB a lot in my gun, and it works very well, as does Wolf, Speer Lawman, Gold Dot, Hornady TAP, and the like. Favorite load so far for accuracy in a defense round is Remington Golden Sabre 185gn +P. All my carry mags are full of this stuff. A little more flash than I like, but big payoff in accuracy and stopping power. I really like the Champion Stainless, and it is in my rotation as summer carry gun. (stainless because I sweat like a dog in a hubcap factory in the VA heat.)
Best,
Steve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.