1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having all kinds of problems making a decision on a concealed carry gun that I will also enjoy shooting at the range.

I have rented several Springfields, full size loaded, v-10, and champion.

I shoot both the full-size and V-10 with ease, getting small groups and find them enjoyable. The champion is a bear. I think the trigger feels harder, and may be part of the problem, but I can't seem to get very good groups with it, and find it challenging to keep shots together anywhere on the target.

I'd probably buy the champion if it shot better. Maybe the one at the range isn't a great example? The full-size looks like it would be more trouble to carry all day than it is worth. (I know, lots of people do.)

I love shooting the v-10 and prefer it over the champion, ports and all. (Yes, I'm real familiar with the downside of ports in a carry gun.)

Anyone with a champion or V-10 care to give me some input? I'd sure appreciate it.

Baker

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have an Ultra Compact without the v10 ported barrel. I intentionally avoided the ported barrel, even at a 500.00 price tag for a used one. My reasons were because of the extra loss of power in an already short barrel, not to mention the flash from the ports in low light. Are you wanting the porting to reduce recoil? The recoil on the ultra compact is very manageable even when shooting fast. My wife enjoys shooting it but she will not shoot the Glock 19 9mm. I have not had a single malfunction either.

·
Registered
687 Posts
For me the Champion points better than the full size does. I just love the feel of the shorter barrel with full size grip. Mine is currently at Springfield for combo warranty work (extractor) and Custom Shop touches (stipple front strap and Armory Coat pistol),
I expect it to be very nice when it returns.:D

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you wanting the porting to reduce recoil? The recoil on the ultra compact is very manageable even when shooting fast.
The regular ultra compact isn't available for rental, just the V-10. thanks for your info on it.

Recoil isn't a problem (I currently carry a snub 357) I just love the way the V-10 shoots. I can get 10 shots in the same 2" center hole, repeatedly. Not so with the champion, although I did do better with it today.

Baker

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have a V10, and I wish I had bought the non ported model. The flash from the ports is wicked bright, especially in any kind of indoor or reduced light. Plus it burns up the dots in the front sight. Not a problem if you like plain black sights though.

Its plenty fun to shoot, and it gets a lot of looks at the range. But if I were to move back to a state where I could carry, I'd have to find another gun. That port flash is a lot to deal with. And if you ever had to shoot it from a close retention position, you'd be in a world of hurt. Those hot gasses cut like a knife and char the remains. My dad and I experimented on a cardboard box wrapped in a flannel shirt. Ugly. I bought a CC holster for my SIG229 that same afternoon.

Brian

·
Registered
61 Posts
I own a 2002 loaded parkerized champ and a 2001 V-10 loaded. Both are great shooters. However, I had to "fix" both the pistols to be reliable. The v-10's chamber was not machined right... the gun would jam (slide would not close) on every other round. I had to burr out the barrel's chamber where the bullet contacts the the actual barrel rifling. It is hard to explain. It is fixed now. It shoots great, little recoil.
Both are good carry pistols. The champ is better at carrying at night and in vehicle since it has night sights and no ports. But for extreme conceal carry (under shirt etc, ) , then the v-10 is good because of small size and low recoil. I would purchase what you are comfortable w/ shooting.
Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Now I'm just throwing this out there, let me know if I'm off base, couldn't you take the ported barrel out of the V10/12 and replace it with a non ported barrel for times at the range when you want to keep your front sight clean? I guess you wouldn't want to stick the ported barrel in a non ported slide, guessing it would make a mess inside...

mikey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts