1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

A quick question. I just ordered a SA Loaded champion (full size grip and commander size slide). My question is do they make it in blue? The website shows the pic in blue but list the gun as stainless with a link to the pic. This will be my first SA 1911. I have a few colts and a series 1 kimber stainless gold match. How will this gun stack up as far as preformance goes? Any thoughts, guesses, or stories? Back to my question... i generally like stainless but for this commander size gun I wanted it in blue. What kinda deals are you guys getting on this or simular SA's? I paid $710 + $20 for dros +$55 in tax =for $785 OTD. It seems like a deal to me. My girl thought that the $300 (wink, wink) that I spent on a H&K USPc Stainless was "so much money for a gun!" but in the same breath told me about a Louie Vaton (sp?) bag for $800 she just has to have. Go figure, I guess we all have our vices! Thanks in advance for all the feedback.

Rob

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey Everyone,

What's up? It's been hours now and now views or replies! Maybe I'm just into instant gradifaction. anyways, all opinions welcome here. Thanks again,

Rob

·
Registered
724 Posts
A dealer in my hometown recently had a loaded Champion in blue. I don`t know if it is currently being built in blue but it has been. I owned one in stainless about 5 years ago. Beautiful pistol. Bob

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bob,

Yeah I see it listed as stainless also but the main picture shows it in blue. Thats what confused me. If the don't make it in blue why do they have it pictured in blue? Oh well anther staniless 1911 for my safe. Poor poor me!

Thanks again,
Rob

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't think they make them in blue anymore. You can find a blue one occasionally on gunsamerica or gunauction. I paid just under $700 for my SS Champion, but that was a little while ago. You probably did ok on price. The blue ones that I have seen on the auction sites range from 550 t0 650 or so. A lot of gun for the money over all - IMHO.

-DD

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I believe they discontinued the blued model after 2002, trying to cut down on so many different models and focusing on the biggest sellers. I bought a blued one in 2002 for about $700 out the door, I think (a pretty good deal). The gun is great .... accurate, reliable, etc. The only problem was a scant thumb safety, which SA took care of without any problem.

On a side note, I really like the look of the SA stainless models with the polished flats and bead-blasted rounds .... mighty fine lookin'!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Actually it is not really blue in the 2001 Carbon steal version- it is parkerized.
I bought one right before they discontinued it. It is a POS in my opinion. I have about 2000 rounds thew it - it jams once evet 7 rounds.
The frame to slide fit is as poor as a 1911 made in China. The slide scraped the parkerization off the slide. The slide stop pinned the framed. Over all Springfeild is not a carry worthy gun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the 2002 loaded parked champion. I like the pistol, however I did have some issues w/ it at the beginning.
The guide rod back flat piece came apart after few hundred rounds. I used lock tite and that solved the problem. I recommend shooting at least 200 rounds w/ out any problems before carrying it for defense. Now it is very reliable and shoots great.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
pinheadbob2002 said:
Actually it is not really blue in the 2001 Carbon steal version- it is parkerized.
I bought one right before they discontinued it. It is a POS in my opinion. I have about 2000 rounds thew it - it jams once evet 7 rounds.
The frame to slide fit is as poor as a 1911 made in China. The slide scraped the parkerization off the slide. The slide stop pinned the framed. Over all this Springfeild is not a carry worthy gun.
I added the 'this' in b/c I carry my champion daily. never a hiccup from out of the box. got it for 575 after transfer. Just because you got a lemon doesn't mean they all are. I'm sure many people here carry a springfield now, or did at one time. If you don't like it, don't whine. Send it to them, free of charge, get it fixed, free of charge, and sent back, free of charge. HMMM...free sounds good to me.

Nismofun

·
Registered
173 Posts
Number me among the Champion fans. I have the stainless version (~$735 OTD) that makes a fine carry package when combined with a Tucker Texas Heritage (THX, Rob). It has been 100% since day one with WWB and WWB JHP (which is more than I can say for my full size loaded SA and my full size Kimber). Heck, it even came with the idiot mark pre-installed, thereby saving me the trouble of fitting one myself :D . The loaded is at SA right now having the TRP package done on it. If I like it, I might just send the Champion in for the same treatment. I think a TRP in the Champion format would be pretty slick.

P

·
Registered
135 Posts
P,

Trust me, you'll like it. I had problems with the full size I had, sent it in for the trp, no problems, love the finish and cycles well. I just didnt' have them put a mag well on (wish I would have now tho). And I plan on sending in my champion for xmas (wife willing) for the trp package as well. That way I'll have a duo.

Nismofun

·
Registered
173 Posts
Nismofun,

I'm thinking I will. I fondled one at one of the local shows and was impressed. I am planning on going all out and having the magwell put on. I figure it is easier to have them install it now and just remove it later if I don't like it. Plus, I like the way it looks. A pair of Gunner Grips in black to round it out and then shoot the dog snot out of it:D. It'll be a while before I realize my TRP Champion. It is getting harder to convince my financial advisor (aka my brown-headed conscience) to allow me withdrawls. I may have to get a second job to support my habit:rolleyes: .

P

·
Registered
687 Posts
I like my Champion, fots my hand nicely, points well. I stsrted having extractor problems, but only after shooting it quite a bit. It's at Springfield now, partially for the extractor problem, partly for some upgrades at the Custom Shop. Hope to see it back by the end of the year or shortly after, it's my favorite to shoot in IDPA.

·
Registered
383 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by pinheadbob2002
The frame to slide fit is as poor as a 1911 made in China. The slide scraped the parkerization off the slide. The slide stop pinned the framed. Over all this Springfeild is not a carry worthy gun.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I added the 'this' in b/c I carry my champion daily. never a hiccup from out of the box. got it for 575 after transfer. Just because you got a lemon doesn't mean they all are. I'm sure many people here carry a springfield now, or did at one time. If you don't like it, don't whine. Send it to them, free of charge, get it fixed, free of charge, and sent back, free of charge. HMMM...free sounds good to me.

Nismofun

Actullay - this is my third springfield with an issue. Springfield does not have a good reputation for qaulity control. Maybe you are happy with a low quality made in Barzil hand gun but i am not. If someone is spending money and asking for advice about a gun , people have the right to share there experiances. They should hear both sides of the stroy- not what you thing is inportant.
Your advice for send it back to them - free of charge is a flase statement. I have to pay shipping to springfield. so it is not free. If you must know- all three of my springfileds have been sent back to them for repair.
I am sure if you shoot as much as I do - you will have problems to.
I shoot atleast 1,500 rounds a week. I like shooting and i demand a gun that will not break after a few thousand rounds. None of my springfilds have gone beyond 10,000 before I had to send them back.
Maybe you are happy shooting 100 rounds and bragging on the net on how great your Springfiled it but I am not.

·
Administrator
13,261 Posts
The PX9142L stainless Champion w/factory installed night sights is our best sellers in this 1911 size category . We moved about 20 so far this year . None have been back for repair . While I'm sure that some members here have had issues with their SA pistols , most of us our well pleased .

bob
"fun" is correct in stating that return shipping to SA is free . All you had to do was call ahead and describe you problem and ask for a FedEx call tag . They'll pick up the shipping cost .
I guess after 3 pistols that had problems , I would also think about buying another brand . However , if you follow the other forums here , you'll see other members are having problems with Colt , Kimber , LBC , S&W , Wilson etc . It's your call . I can only state that after selling these brands for many years that problem guns are a rarity , not a standard . Good luck in your quest .

·
Registered
170 Posts
PH-Bob, I second the other recommendations to send the gun back to SA for fixes.

I have three SA 1911A1's and each has been good to go OTB - no reliability or accuracy isues at all. All were purchased within the last 5 years or so - if that makes a difference.

Sorry that you have had bad luck on your three. I'd get him fixed and not let SA off the hook.

DD

·
Registered
383 Posts
When i called Springfield - they told me I had to pay shipping to them. Looks like they tell different people differnt things.
I know the dealer I bought my springfield from sends 1 to 2 guns back to Springfield a week. Springfield sell alot of guns so the odds are a few have to go back for repair. So the guns are not perfect nor is there track record for shipping guns with issues. That is the only point I wanted to get accross.
Springfield makes a OK gun, they give you a way better gun then what colt is selling. I own a XD, and a few M14s along with 3 1911s. The 1911s do have some issues. Then again, like I said - I shoot alot and I am rough with my guns. So I would have more problems then the average shooter who might shoot 100 rounds a mouth.
On the plus side springfield has a lifetime warrenty so you can keep sending it back when it breaks. All you waste is money for shipping to them and some of your own time. My major issue with sending them one of my guns for repair is - while the gun is in there shop- I do not have control over my weapon. I hate not haveing contorl over my firearms at all times.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Blued

Oh Yeah,

I recently bought one for a discount here in Culver City California in blued. I was told that SA will stop production of the "Champions" soon so SA wants to get them moved out. If they decided to comtinue these fine models I haven't heard anything yet.

rimfire,22

1 - 20 of 22 Posts