1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Got the 1911 bug this time last year with a new production Colt. But now I have the opportunity to get my hands on an original Colt made in 1943 marked "Property of US Government" a good friend that was issued this gun many years back has it, and he said that one of the armorers in San Francisco went through it about 20 years ago after meeting him in a bar and starting up an "Army buddy" conversation. I have had the opportunity to shoot it, could'nt tell where the rounds were going, but it was fun. It even has the original holster. But the finish on the front strap is completely worn off. Other than oil, could I do anything to protect the finish without taking away from it's value ( not that I would ever sell it) or distract form its originality? He said he'd leave it to me in his will, but he can get forgetful, and he's getting older, so he said he'd trade me for a Ruger stainless cowboy gun in .45 long colt. Going to the gun shop today to see if I can trade my .44 Bisley toward what he wants. He already gave me a box of VERY old .45 ammo, but I told him that they are collectors items. Not gonna shoot 'em. And the box is in perfect shape.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
ScottsGt...
Sounds like you really do have the 1911 bug. Your WWII find sounds like an interesting gun especially since you can speak to the man who was issued the gun. If I were you I would get a letter from your friend detailing where and when he traveled in the service so that you have more history about the gun in written form. When you store your 1911, just keep it oiled up in a warm, dry environment and this will preserve your gun. Don't store the gun wrapped in any material that will attract moisture. My Colt's are all hanging in a safe. Never had a problem with rust.
Regards,
Sam

[This message has been edited by SamColtFan (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Administrator
74,343 Posts
Don't worry about the gun rusting. My '45 Remington Rand has lost most of its finish, yet I take it with me outdoors all the time and never had to worry. I also have others with small spots of rust here and there, but I consider it normal considering all these old GI guns have been through. As long as you keep it well maintained there won't be any problems. If you get it, don't forget to post some pics here for us.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
303 Posts
My experience is in line with that expressed by dsk. My 1917-vintage Colt's 1911 has a fair amount of thin finish in spots, especially the front of the grip area.
I wipe it off with an oily rag (most of the time!) after a trip "away from the roads" and it has never developed any rust in the 33 years that I have had the pleasure of owning it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts