1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the mainspring housing on my Kimber Custom II. Nothing else was replaced, mainspring and pins from the old housing were placed in the new housing. After assembly of the pistol I checked the trigger pull. What was previously 3.5-4 lbs is now 7 lbs. Otherwise the pistol seems to function properly. Any ideas what would cause this. :confused:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Is the channel in the housing shallower causing more spring pre-load perhaps? :confused:

Also might check to be sure the spring drops in and out freely and that it's not stopping before hitting the bottom of the housing causing it to bind up.

Also, any angle changes involved? Is the spring comming up at the same angle or has the angle canted?

I'm not that familiar with the 1911s yet but I'm a good troubleshooter and those are the things I'd look at first.

·
Premium Member
7,111 Posts
The ms/hsg loads the sear spring.
Your new one is a different contour on the inside surface and
is putting more pressure on the sear spring.
Bending the sear spring to compensate is not a job for a
newbie.
There are NO drop-in parts on a 1911.
Sorry I could not be of more help.:(

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Chuck's response is right on. You didn't say whether you had disassembled the pistol again after changing the MSH and found the pull weight to be the same (7#). One thing to check if you haven't already is to see if perhaps the hammer strut could be caught on the edge of the mainspring cap instead of riding in the concaver cut in its center. It's rare that this could happen, but it does and that would probably be enough to cause such a drastic change in pull weight.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts