1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kimber 5" and I have been experimenting with different weight Hammer/Mainsprings.

My question is: if I change the Hammer/Mainspring from a stock spring to a lighter spring say 16 to 18 pounds should I change the recoil spring to a heavier weight to prevent frame battering?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The recoil spring?

Does the main spring have THAT much of an effect on the slide in recoil?

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
In a 45(1911) you won't suffer any great battering by switching to a different weight mainspring, however in 10mm, spring weight can play a major role.

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you reduce the main spring weight you will effect the initial slide velocity. The recoil spring will then control the velocity and return of the slide. Generally a heavier main spring will cause the slide to stay in battery a longer time, that is a good thing. But the heavier spring will give you a heavier trigger pull. Then it also will give you a faster lock time as you are driving the hammer with more force. I have been able to get the trigger under 2-1/2 pounds very reliablity with a 20# spring. If you use the correct hammer, sear and trigger it can be very reliable and still give you the longer time in battery and the faster lock time.
On the 38supers a number of people use a square edged trigger retainer from George Smith at EGW. This will give you an even longer lock time but let you use the lighter main spring for trigger pull.

Ed Henry

·
Registered
354 Posts
On the 38supers a number of people use a square edged trigger retainer from George Smith at EGW.[/B]

You meant to say, "square edged Firing Pin retainer".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts