1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a spring kit for my Kimber Compact. I wanted to replace the recoil spring, plus last weekend when cleaning the gun I discovered about 1/4 of a coil had broken off the firing pin spring.

Kimber packages their spring kit to also include a mainspring. I had not intended to fiddle with the mainspring, but since the spring is coming along with the other two now I am thinking about it.

How difficult is it for the average Joe to change a mainspring? I'm not looking for a case of frustration.

RJ

·
Registered
841 Posts
You probably don't need to change it out, but if you want to it's not a big deal. The hammer has to be down, as in the fired position (or the mainspring hoising pin will not move) and you push the mainspring housing pin out and the housing will slide off the frame. The sear spring may pop out of position so you have to watch out for that as it can cause issues if the fingers of the spring pop out of place. Once the mainspring housing is off you need to compress the mainspring housing cap some to relieve the pressure of the cap pin so that the pin can be removed. Once that pin is out the cap and spring will come out. Reverse order to put it all back together. Hammer has to be in the fired position. Make sure the sear spring is seated right. Here is a great diagram off the Brownell's site you can use for reference.
1911 diagram compliments of Brownell's.

Get the Khuenhausen book as it covers a lot of stuff like that....you won't regret it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wear your safety glasses. Put the MSH in a good vise. Wilson's has a great book for $10 (IIRC) that has pictures of this and of course the Kuhnhausen book is great. I use a rubber band to keep the grip safety depressed and don't have to worry about the sear spring placement.
Ken

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
To help depress the plunger and mainspring so you can get out the tiny retaining pin that holds the plunger and spring in place, drive a brad or small finishing nail in a board, leaving about 1/2" sticking out. Center the plunger on the nail head, push down with one hand, and work the cross/retaing pin out with the other. The spring is better controlled and there is less chance of launching everything across the shop/basement/garage. Easier and safer that way.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I've never had any problems with that.....then I know how it goes together. I have read about guys taking out the shop lights above their bench when their hand slips off that reciol plug though!!!

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Thank you, Greg.

edited to add: Thank you, Manevitch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts