1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this something I should get a gunsmith to do? I'm not a big fan of the 3 holed trigger that comes in most 1911's but I will be leaving them in my CQB and Kobra carry cuz they have a nice crisp and clean feel. My new kimber does not.. and since its my gun i'm going to customize the first thing to go is the trigger. I bought a caspian trik trigger and I like it cuz it's totally different. So, should I attempt to switch them out or get a gunsmith? Thanks

·
Registered
724 Posts
Vermillion, a new trigger might require a little smoothing up but is not difficult to install. Just remember that the little screw on the back side of the mag release is not a screw. It is a cam. Strip out the hammer, sear, mainspring, disconnect etc. Press in the mag button and put light pressure turning the "screw". You will find a sweet spot and the "screw" head will rotate about 90 degrees. The assembly will then come out freeing the trigger to come out the rear. Bob

·
Registered
877 Posts
Vermilion said:
I'm not a big fan of the 3 holed trigger that comes in most 1911's but I will be leaving them in my CQB and Kobra carry cuz they have a nice crisp and clean feel. My new kimber does not.. and since its my gun i'm going to customize the first thing to go is the trigger.

You should know that the trigger itself has very little effect on the trigger pull weight or feel (unless it's not fit properly). If you want a better trigger pull, you'll need to have someone do a trigger job, which involves working on the sear, hammer hooks, disconnector, and sear spring.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Trigger removal/insertion is just about the final step in frame disassembly, but that's not particularly difficult.

There's more to installing a new trigger than that, however.
Aside from perhaps smoothing the trigger track in the frame, the shape of the trigger bow and its contact with the sear have to be taken into account in the "trigger job", so if you're in doubt, you may want to have a competent 1911 person work on this, especially if you have any anticipation of changing the sear or hammer.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I might have to take it to my workplace(gunstore) and see if I can scrounge up all the needed tools. To tell the truth I have never really taken down one of my 1911's. Of course this is my first production 1911.. my others are the CQB and Kobra and I'd rather not tear them apart without first doing it on one that I wouldn't cry about if lost a spring or something else :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looks like you have to register to enter Mr. Burns' site. That didn't used to be the case :confused:

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Ahhhh, Guys, toward the top of the forum listing there is a section named 1911 How To's & FAQ and in that forum you will find instructions on fitting a trigger. You will have to set your "show posts from" to "the beginning" to find it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts