1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a thought. My Custom TLE/RL-II has just arrived from my dealer. It came with night sights. I'm planning to use it in a few IPSC competitions just to test the limits of this gun.

This unit comes standard with Kimber rear and front night sights. Anybody has ever replaced the standard Kimber rear sight with their (Kimber's) adjustable sights? Is the dovetail compatible between both sights? Additional milling would not be a problem, but I don't have info on the angle of the dovetails of both sights.

Anyone has pictures?

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Just hope you have a powerful hydraulic press to get those Series-II rear sights out! I believe you have to press out from left to right, but our friends will correct me if I'm wrong. Beware too, the Swartz safety might go flying off to never-never land when the rear sight passes their opening.

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Shoot the gun, and see where it groups. There might be no need to "adjust" the sight picture. If you reload, you can also tailor the ammo to the gun to acheive you prefered point-of-impact (POI)

If you must have adjustable sights, look to Dawson Precision, Dave makes a nice set that fits a fixed sight Kimber.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I can vouch for the fact that magnus samuelsson (Strongman) is required to swap out sights on the Kimber Customs... I just had my sights changed earlier tonight and the owner of the local Ten Eight Tactical supply changed them out and it sounded like he was doing quite a bit of smashing, hammering and all around noise making.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shoot the gun, and see where it groups. There might be no need to "adjust" the sight picture. If you reload, you can also tailor the ammo to the gun to acheive you prefered point-of-impact (POI)

If you must have adjustable sights, look to Dawson Precision, Dave makes a nice set that fits a fixed sight Kimber.
Thanks for all the replies. The gun does group nicely at both 10 and 15 yards. I was using FMJs. I still have to test it with handloaded 230 lead round and 200 semi-wads. If the POI/POA difference is almost negligeble then I WILL convince myself that there would be no need to change sights. :)

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
akula:

I think Kimber uses an arbor press to install those things so we won't muck with the Swartz safety....

(Accursed lawyers....)

My old Compact Custom (pre-Series-II; no Swartz) was a non problem.

There's also the possibility (I've never heard anything) that there's some Loctite in there - maybe some heat?

George Carlin's "words" have nothing on what I said getting the front sight off that little Compact, though.

I wouldn't suggest trashing the rear sights, but some people have suggested cutting it up.... Night sights are expensive enough to keep, or at least find a buyer.... (A use for a Dremel that is OK for gun work and doesn't involve stirring coffee.... :))

Regards,

·
Registered
72 Posts
I removed the rear night sight on my Pro ShadowII the other night...

I applied some penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. First I tried a brass bunch...bent and mutilated. Next was a bigger hammer and a wooden dowel..splintered. I finally had enough (and used those aforementioned "seven words") and used a steel punch. It finally broke loose and drifted out with no damage other than a slight semi-circular mark from the punch. I'll be removing the Schwartz parts and installing a Heinie black serrated sight...I don't care for the tiny dots on Kimber's night sights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts