1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a set of Novak adjustable night sights for my Kimber 1911. the current rear sight is held in place by an allen screw and the replacement appears to do the same. What about the front sight? Can I use a brass drift punch to remove it? Secure the new one? Or, make a trip to see my local gunsmith?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
In the Jan/Feb 2004 edition of American Handgunner (pg.100), there is a very interesting ad for a "universal sight tool" that looks pretty good. You may want to check this out. Also, the opinions of any of you 'smiths out there on this product would be appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speak of the devil, I just read the new AH last night and saw that very jig. Very nice. Figure that it will be pricey and can't see buying something that I won't use but seldom. thanks though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Gunfyter--

I just changed the sights on my series one ultra.

It was a bugger to say the least. I planned ahead and bought a brass drift set from brownells and mounted a bigger vise to do the work.

I ruined all of the drifts removing the rear sight. It was amazingly tight. But it did come out. If I were to do it again I would pay the $30 and have a smith do the work. I'm just a do it yourselfer and thought I'd give it a try.

I was successful but not without ending up with brass marks all over the new sights and scuffing the slide a little in one spot. Not bad, just bugs me that I couldn't do a perfect job.

Fitting the new sights was interesting too. I really had to remove more metal than I thought I'd have to. I put on Heinie's. Maybe adjustables will drop in easier.

Good luck.

Bioguy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts