1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying either a SA or Kimber 1911. The guns I am looking at have sights that can be replaced without any changes to the slide.

I would replace the stock black/black sights with Novak white dots.

Is it hard to swap out sights without going to a gunsmith?

Are any special tools necessary?

Any advice?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Kimber uses a serious Loctite on the sights. It is plastered under the dovetail of the sight itself. It takes some serious impact (more than enough to squish any brass drift) to begin to move the sight. Even some really tough sight removal tools are easily bent and stripped trying to move a Kimber rear sight. I had good success using a very strong vise with a block to avoid deforming the slide.

NOTE: Some Kimbers (C-II included) are removed from the OPPOSITE side that you would on a Colt. Please see rear of disassembly manual for instructions for your group. (The machined dovetail/sight interface tightens progressively intentionally. You don't want to machine this thing, just remove it!

When the slide is firmly located, grab a nice surface-hardened steel punch and a 8 to 10 oz machinist's hammer. Place the tip of the punch carefully on the flat of the dovetail of the sight, and let 'er have it. I mean, hit it HARD. Three or four strong hits are required to get it moving. Once it begins to move you don't have to hit it as hard (I know, obvious but had to say it).

Once the sight is clear of the dovetail, clean the machined area thoroughly with a good flat edge to remove excess loctite prior to installing new site.;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
You're talking rear sight I imagine...yes, you can drift it into place with a brass or nylon punch, provided it's a sight, like you said, that doesnt require mods to the slide...

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Fergot to mention....remove the little locking screw (allen) first....

Some folks forget.

Still, I recon if you whack it hard enough to move the dang thing, that lil' screw won't stop it. Might drag a little groove, though!

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Same thing except not as much surface area is available for grip so it's not as difficult to move. Be sure to have the punch face FLAT to FLAT on the sight dovetail if you want to ever re-use the front sight.

Many folks leave the front sight if it is the correct height.

NOTE: Cylinder & Slide will "drill & dot" your stock Kimber NOVAK's for much less than the cost of replacement sights....

:eek:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Will they install tritium vials in them, or just paint white dots? I rather like the profile of my Pro Carry II's sights, but I would like night sights on it.

Ghost

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
They'll install NOVAK tritiums for you but it will be a new sight (exactly like yours except tritium vials)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts