1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a TISAS .45 and find that my old hands can barely rack the slide.

Being ignorant I thought I would ask the experts: Would it help if I replaced the recoil spring with one a couple of pounds lighter??

What weight spring should I drop down to and hopefully still get ignition??

I am mostly a revolver guy so my questions are probably in the DUH area.

Thanks

·
Registered
819 Posts
I just picked up a TISAS .45 and find that my old hands can barely rack the slide.

Being ignorant I thought I would ask the experts: Would it help if I replaced the recoil spring with one a couple of pounds lighter??

Thanks
Unless I’m misunderstanding, the recoil spring doesn’t directly affect ignition of the primer. Have you tried cocking the hammer before you cycle the slide?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless I’m misunderstanding, the recoil spring doesn’t directly affect ignition of the primer. Have you tried cocking the hammer before you cycle the slide?
Yep. Thanks.

I can't cycle the slide at all without cocking the hammer.

Tough getting oldl. Looking for a way to continue shooting for a few more years.

·
Premium Member
9,709 Posts
I have often used 14 and 15 pound recoils springs in mine. 14 pounds was the original spec.

Thumb cocking the hammer first helps as you already have done that.…the hammer and mainspring are the greatest source of resistance when pulling the slide back.

I don’t recommend this outside of spring tuning but a 21 pound Wolff mainspring may help as well. It won’t cause the pistol to be battered either.

• Helpful
Reactions: Levian

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I Would it help if I replaced the recoil spring with one a couple of pounds lighter??

Thanks
First question-yes. Second question-try a 15 or 14 lb. spring (recommend ISMI or Wilson over Wolff) which will make it easier to rack and won't hurt a thing. You can also replace your mainspring with a 18 or 19 lb. spring (also Wilson or ISMI) and, unless something else is messed up with the gun or you're shooting out-of-spec crap ammo, it will set off primers just fine, run reliably, and make it easier both to rack and thumb cock.

·
Registered
230 Posts
First question-yes. Second question-try a 15 or 14 lb. spring (recommend ISMI or Wilson over Wolff) which will make it easier to rack and won't hurt a thing. You can also replace your mainspring with a 18 or 19 lb. spring (also Wilson or ISMI) and, unless something else is messed up with the gun or you're shooting out-of-spec crap ammo, it will set off primers just fine, run reliably, and make it easier both to rack and thumb cock.
I run all 19# MS and 14# for shooting factory. And 12# for my normal handloads. I've never had an issue directly related to this setup

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
I have often used 14 and 15 pound recoils springs in mine. 14 pounds was the original spec.
Wasn't the spec for a 1911 firing 230gr bullets 16lbs?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Wasn't the spec for a 1911 firing 230gr bullets 16lbs?
I think Colt originally specified the government 1911's recoil spring by wire size and number of coils, which happened to work out to 14-15 pounds. I guess somewhere along the way someone figured a bit stronger spring was needed and 16# became the accepted standard.

·
Registered
777 Posts

Thanks
DO NOT CHANGE THE RECOIL SPRING # and the recoil spring, has nothing to do with ignition, don't change that one either, cock the hammer first and then learn how to properly rack the slide, or hit the gym, I'm 70 YO BTW

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DO NOT CHANGE THE RECOIL SPRING # and the recoil spring, has nothing to do with ignition, don't change that one either, cock the hammer first and then learn how to properly rack the slide, or hit the gym, I'm 70 YO BTW
You know, I didn't ask for all the information; including your age.
I did not come here for a urination confrontation.

I passed 70 a long time ago. I just finished fighting Covid for the past six months.

NOW, can I change one or two springs in the 1911 that will give me a small advance in racking the slide?

·
Registered
819 Posts

Thanks
I mean this to be helpful, not insulting. Just over five years ago I had about as big a surgery as someone can have. I'm retired now, but after my surgery I had to pass an extensive "fit for duty" test to return to work. It took me four months to rehabilitate myself and get back to work. I needed grip strength, so I purchased one of these which helped a lot. It’s adjustable over a broad range. My wife has been using it too, to help her with some strength problems in her hands.
Bicycle part Tool Font Composite material Bicycle drivetrain part

·
Registered
19 Posts
You know, I didn't ask for all the information; including your age.
I did not come here for a urination confrontation.

I passed 70 a long time ago. I just finished fighting Covid for the past six months.

NOW, can I change one or two springs in the 1911 that will give me a small advance in racking the slide?
You can of course change springs. I have a Les Baer, which when new was near impossible to rack.
There are some posts about your positioning for racking, where you hold your arms against the body and such, that will probably change your luck. If you shoot 300 ads of factory ammo, it
will loosen. Grease on the rails and plenty of oil also help. I am older than you and can still manage, but it takes some planning and learning. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts