1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone post a "How To" to remove the standard Hi Power Ambi Safety and install a single Cylinder & Slide extended safety?

This is a fairly common modification according to many threads I have read. It might help others (including me right now) who wish to do this mod.

We have a Mag Disconnect removal "How to" so I thought I would ask for this "How to".

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. Take a look at the link below and follow the instructions for taking parts out of the frame; of course you can omit removing the trigger assembly:

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/bungib/PublicFolder/guns/detailstrip.html

The C&S single-side thumb safeties I've ordered in past came with instructions for fillint as well as the normal area to be stone being painted yellow.

Very important in my opinion is to file but a little and reassemble often. If you remove too much metal, the sear can partially disengage from the cocked hammer if the trigger is pressed while the safety is on. Glow slow, file/stone slowly, reassemble often.

Best.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stephen, got 'er done.......

The C&S Single Side Safety did as you say come with instructions. Mine was painted white (guess they ran out of yellow)!:biglaugh:

Anyway, using their instructions, I was able to do it. It really is a pain though because you have to file a little and re-assemble to check. This takes several iterations........but in the end you will never forget how to do it! :biglaugh:

After I finished, I realized that there could have been an additional line in the instructions to help you determine how much material to take off.

Something along the line of:

"Compare the safety that you have removed from the pistol with the new one you are about to file. Look at the differences and file the new one to match the one you removed".

Or....

"If you are fitting a safety without an old one to compare to, once you have it assembled look inside the frame rails where it engages the sear. You can see that it is the small nub that must clear BEHIND the sear. Determine how much more needs to be filed by looking at this and disassemble and do your filing".

Of course pictures would be better understood, but the small paper that they send with the safety is not large enough for pictures!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Mr Camp I would like to thank you also, as I am waiting for my first BHP to arrive and modifying the existing ambi safety is my first step in making it my own. I don't personally perfer the ambi safety so I thought I would remove the right side, left hander's lever. The chance of it hanging up on my clothing is worth it's removal IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts