1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what else to do, but to take my guns to the gunsmith, and quite frankly for such a minor task I would hate my own guts. The gun is DanWesson Guardian 9 (and I have a VBob 45 ready for the same mod). I didn't like the slim grips it/they come with (because they are slim, they are actually nice). So, I bought new Carbon fiber slants, standard size and upon the rep suggestion, I bought also new bushings and standard screws. I also bought the Brownells removal tool. Applied heat, as suggested here elsewhere, and these things don't move and the bushing is beginning to deform. The good news is that the old bushings can hold the new grips with the standard screws, but I suspect barely. So, any further suggestion? Do you know if I take them to the gunsmith what will they do differently? I don't want to risk any damage if they have to drill or something. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I took mine over to DW and they took them out for me--maybe send keith an email and ask how he gets them out, I couldn't budge them either

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
The thin bushings, DW's or anybody else's, can be very difficult to turn without damage due to the necessarily very shallow slots. I use the Brownells thin bushing driver, very carefully. I have been able to remove thin bushings without damage many times. But, twice, IIRC,I had thin bushings I could not remove. One was milled/drilled out due to my foolishly having used green LocTite to secure the bushings. The easy-out wouldn't even remove that one. The other was removed by using the #2 screw extractor as shown by bunkerarms...

·
Premium Member
9,795 Posts
Or Auto Zone, Sears, Snap On....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.