1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a 1911 pistol and was looking at the Charles Daly line. I do not know anything about them. Can someone tell me about this line of pistols? Are they a reliable pistol to have? Is the quallity good? Any remarks would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I had a Charles Daly field grade 1911. It was among the first imported. It shot to POA and grouped well when it worked. Replaced the extractor, trigger, and when I took it to have the feed ramp polished the smith to me to just buy another because the feed ramp was beyond repair. I had deep gashes on it with bluing still in them, so it appears to have come from the factory that way. In their defense, KBI offered to fix it but with sh S&H charges it seemed better for me to trade it on a new Colt.

Please note that this one was among the first imported and might not be a good representative of the whole brand. There are good and bad with each manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I owned a CD FS model that was made in Dec. 2000. While it was a good shooter, I have recently traded it for a Glock 19. But, back to the Daly. It was very accurate, and functioned fine. I just had my own personal feelings about the quality of their metal, and the fact that most replacement parts would require more fitting than normal. Plus my own personal opinion was that it wasn't worth spending the money on Ed Brown parts and such for the Daly. I originally bought the Daly to see if I liked the 1911 platform. Didn't want to be out of a lot of money if I didn't care for it. Traded for the Glock because it came with nite sites, extended slide and mag releases and the fact that it was a 2nd generation Glock that appeared to be unfired. Couldn't pass the deal up with the sticker price being $425 before my trade was figurred in. With having said all that, my next 1911 will either be a Springfield or Colt.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i have a charles daly fs 1911, and it hasnt giving me any trouble at all. i have only 2800rounds through it. and dont notice any unnormal ware. it averages 2" are less at 25 & 30yard's. i have alot of gun's in general,and i havent nothing bad to say about the daly 1911, except for the cast parts. needless to say i have replaced all cast parts. but they are alot of daly owner's who dont replace anything, and they have 3 4 and 5thousand rounds through there cd. and it's still eating ammo like cotton candy.

·
Registered
731 Posts
You will hear some people say, "I have a Daly, it's great, I wouldn't sell it for $5,000. All my buddies kiss it before they shoot their IDPA stages."

Just about everybody else will tell you "Save your money and spend a little more to get a Colt, Kimber, or Springfield." Daly is junk and you will end up getting rid of it an getting a realy gun.

Just my $0.02.

Billy Ray

·
Administrator
74,641 Posts
Moving to the Charles Daly Forum.

·
Registered
233 Posts
inspector harry, applied that cd frame and slide was cast.and they are not casted. so now you can see he edited his reply. but for those who dont know this,probily would have taking his reply seriously". daly's are good 1911's. take it from a daly owner's who know's.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I forgot, I also replaced the extended slide stop with standard one. My thumb tends to ride it which causes failure to open slide.

vega

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
My take on the subject is that the folks who call CDs junk have never owned one. The thought that it might just perform as advertised seems to scare them in some sick sort of way.

My first CD was junk, the replacement gun works as advertised. There's a risk related to that low cost, and if you look at this forum you'll see where several of us have had to deal with customer service to get what we paid for. Then there are several who have had no problems.

If I was going to by my first 1911, I'd get a Colt and save the experimenting with cheaper guns for later.

If it's a money issue, then make sure you field strip any CD you may look at, and examine everything very closely (looking for poorly cast parts). The ability to cycle a few dummy rounds would be a definite plus. Accept that the trigger and extractor will need to be replaced, so don't worry about them. If it passes these tests, then you'll likely be happy with it.

I definitely believe that the EFS models are far superior to the older FS models (avoid them).

·
Registered
249 Posts
i field stripped my fs model in the shop when i was going to buy one. suggest you do the same -- if the shop won't let you do that, find another shop. if there is anything you don't like about it have them show you another one. i also had them give me a handfull of .45 snap caps and stood there for a while loading magazines and running them thru the gun. no problems chambering or extracting or ejecting.
for about $40 i put in wolff factory weight recoil spring and firing pin spring; ed brown firing pin, firing pin stop and extractor.
the gun is flawless and very accurate.
like to shoot the gun enough, i came across some mccormick diamond checkered polished rosewood grips and with nominal fitting put them on it (i think they were on sale for $35); boy did that ever "spiff" the gun up.
mcole

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I agree about walking out of a shop that won't allow field stripping, but they may want to do it themselves. Don't be offended if they won't let you do it since they have no idea if you'll scratch the thing putting the slide release back in.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Last month I bought my first pistol ever and it was a Charles Daly two-tone EFS. For a first time buyer like me my number one consideration was a mix of reliability and price. So far, I've only fired 500 rounds through it and after every range session I seem to like my Daly even more. Now that I'm getting better at shooting, I can see that it shoots where its aimed. If you treat it right, i.e. feed it with standard ammo (not out of spec reloads) - it shoots fine specially after the initial breakin period.

Just like you I did research in this forum and asked around. I've gotten a lot of helpful advice from the friendly people in the forum. Some lemons do fall between the cracks in the Q.C. department, but hey this also happens with the other more expensive and established brands. Just check the other forum sections and you'll see what I mean. And I think it was mostly with the older non-enhanced models. The best thing to do is to check out the fit and finish of the gun before you buy. Now if you still get a lemon even after a close inspection, the people at Charles Daly have proven in the past that they stand by their product. For the price, I think you'll be satisfied with the CD 1911.

As for replacing parts, I tried replacing my sear spring with a four spring Kings in a misinformed (newbie here) effort to make my trigger pull a bit lighter but it kept fallng into half cock every so many rounds. It wasn't broke or anything but i just had to "fix" it. This problem disappeared after I put back the original sear spring. Guess I better wait for the Kuhnhausen book I ordered before I tinker with it again. Because of this experience, I 've decided to live with the cast parts (extractor, hammer, slide release, ambi-safety)until they fail or my warranty expires, which ever comes first. Or at least until how long I can resist the urge to tinker with it. The only thing I don't like with my Daly is that the cast parts seem to have a dark purplish tinge where it should be black (and the semi-circular sliderelease scratch my dealer made). Sorry for the long post. I just can't help it sometimes.

·
Registered
233 Posts
nice hearing from ya' malmon
i prefer the standard sear spring, to that of the kings. 1911 kinda grow on ya'
i still have excellent accuracy and reliable charles daly. i have a new rifle that i want to shoot. i'll probily be at the range this coming weekend, with and my cd
as well. im not sure...but i think your trying to post thoose pictures and artical's again? good luck with doing so. i have hade a few request for a copy,since they removed the pictures
talk to ya; later. JB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts