Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have opinions on these 1911 variants? Saw one at a local gun
shop used and it's the compact model. They wanted $325, should I
stay away from it or take the plunge? :hrm:

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Charles Daly

I think they are junque. (voice of experience)

The ones I have seen (and I was dumb enuff to purchase one) have enough machining errors and poorly fit pieces to take a month of sundays to unravel.

Especially not good if you ever need it to shoot for no kidding. I bottomed out at Rock Island and Nork if you want a really inexpensive 1911. I don't consider Daly a shooter (disassembled and disposed of mine as "parts"). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
844 Posts
I can't comment on the compact, but I just recently got a used blued full size in very good condition for $300 and it will out shoot my Kimber Warrior. I also have the target model and the commander model and all are good shooters. These can vary in quality, but if you look it over well, it can be one of the best buys out there.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
My compact (commander lenght) works great, it even feeds HP's.
Tool marks are indeed present, but so are older Colt's for twice the price. Of course, I've heard of problems too, but so are other brands. I've also heard that their customer service is pretty good.
I wasn't looking for a super pretty gun (Its a $300 gun, you know), I just wanted it to be reliable and it is. I'm satisfied with mine.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
gunner.45 said:
Anybody have opinions on these 1911 variants? Saw one at a local gun
shop used and it's the compact model. They wanted $325, should I
stay away from it or take the plunge? :hrm:
gunner.45,

My first one doesn't/isn't 100% compatable version (early model) BUT it works well once it's broken in well. I admit I decided to change the barrel cuz it was terrible quality due the the casting. Now it shoots slightly better than combat groupings at 15-25 yards. Currently the extractor is awaiting to be changed due to it's compromising casting. So far it still works well but I'd be a little afraid to use it in a gun fight unless it was swaped-out for a better one. The only other iten was I changed the recoil spring. Everything was left stock. Other than the extractor it's a good pistol for the money.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
954 Posts
Had my CS (3.5") for about three months. Functioned 100% out of the box with Wolf FMJ, my lead SWC reloads, and a variety of JHP (Golden Sabers, Hydrashoks, & PMC Starfires).

Replaced the recoil spring at about 800 rounds and am up to about 1000 rounds without problems.

CD seems to be making a good gun now that they are using Armscor parts. Three or four years ago they were SAM and definitly not as good (although its said SAM has improved a lot lately too, competition is good! but I've not seen one yet, IMHO the SAMs from three or four years ago were Llama quality). You get a "lifetime warrenty" if you register your purchase on-line with KBI. I recieved good warrenty service from KBI when the right side lever of the ambi safety broke after ~7500 rounds. I got the EMS (4") first and since it held up so well I was happy to pick up a CS when I saw one for $343.

--wally.

·
Banned
65 Posts
...outshoots your Kimber huh? Where have I heard this before? Well, at the range, where else? I met a guy shooting a 3.5" CD blued and swore it out shot his Kimber, plain and simple. He was not embarrased to tell me or anybody else at the range.
My full size CD has been screaming flawless, accurate for well over 1,000 rounds.

You can get a good gun in a CD

You can
You can
You can, dammit

I am so sick of the CD bashers I could just scream

·
Registered
9 Posts
EFS 5"

I purchased a NEW CD EFS back in April. About the same time, my son purchased a Springfield "Loaded". His has gone back to Springfield for a slide that kept binding through the fring cycle, to Entreprise for trigger work and feed problems. My CD, other other hand, has a great trigger, functions flawlessly (after the 1st 100 rnds to break it in, where I had ONE failure to feed) and shoots accurately until the nut behind the trigger (me) gets tired. I'd buy another, and probably will in the 4" version. Yes, there are tool marks inside, but the outside finish (complete with fore and aft slide grips) and lo mount sight is excellent.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I have a Charles Daly M5 and it's a sweet hi-capacity full-size pistol. It had a problem feeding the first round from slide-lock. I polished the breech face with some Flitz and my Dremel and now it's perfect. It puts all the bullets in the same hole. For $325, I got a great deal.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Shootcraps said:
I have a Charles Daly M5 and it's a sweet hi-capacity full-size pistol. It had a problem feeding the first round from slide-lock. I polished the breech face with some Flitz and my Dremel and now it's perfect. It puts all the bullets in the same hole. For $325, I got a great deal.
Had the same problem with my Kimber BP and used the same solution. Paying more doesn't alwyas get you more!

The $343 for my CS was new (tax not included) Paid $390 for my EMS and $500 for the Kimber BP. I've only seen one CD M5 and it was priced the same as the Kimber. I think the Kimber polymer frame is a bit more svelte and felt better in my hand. YMMV. But for $325 I'd have went with the CD M5 too!

I think CD may have had some problems initially but they seem to be turning out a very good product now and are standing behind it.

--wally.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've got an Empire EFST(stainless, 5", adj sights) and a field ECS(blue, 3.5", fixed sights) and have no complaints. I've had a smith look them over for obvious problems, and he found none. He said the firing pin spring was too heavy in the EFST, so I replaced it. The 8-round mags would balk sometimes at first on the top round, but that's disappeared now. I've got around $800 in the pair and am very satisfied with my 'Filipino beer cans'. I haven't shot them for patterns, but I can hit what I aim at with no problems. I wish they were made in the USA, but I just couldn't afford a Springfield(which are made in Brazil) or Kimber or Dan Wesson with the features these pistols have. I called CD and asked them about the 'soft steel' myth and I believe it is just that, a myth. For $325, I wouldn't hesitate if I wanted a 1911-pattern pistol. If you look around, you can find new Field models for less than $400 that come with lifetime warranties, if you should have a problem.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Love my EMS, maybe not as nicely finished as higher end 1911's but shoots good (i'm sure it's more accurate than I am) and I could afford it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Got two

Hey, y'all, new here and my first post. Found this site via The High Road. Anyway, I've got two Daly 1911's, both of which are reliable, reasonably accuate, and one feeds HPs well and is my carry peice. I'm partial to the 5" platform, so my take on shorties is a bit jaundiced. But, for the money, go for it.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Well, 1911 Guy said it, he has not one but two of these guns and both are very good. He also comes from The High Road which is a great posting board if you are not a member yet.

Well, Kimber snobs, what do ya say??
Are you going to let us CD white-trash pass by or what?
I will offer once again, for you to meet me at the Oak Ridge Sportsmans Association shooting range with your Kimber and me with my CD and lets shoot some and see just who is who in mudville.

Any takers?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
BGriffith said:
Not one but, two 1911 pistols for $800.

Hells bells you can not buy ONE Kimber for less than $800....am I right?

No. I saw a NIB Kimber STainless for $635 at the gun show yesterday. If I had the extra money, it would be in my house right now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you really must have a 1911, take the plunge. However, if you can afford another brand I would suggest buying another brand. Just tonight I finished up working on my CD. I too suffered from the first round jamming up on the feed ramp. At first I tried just polishing it with the dremmel tool, but that didn't work. I had to take a jeweler's file and take some metal off and re-angle the top of the feed ramp and then re-polish it. I ran some snap caps through it to see if it would chamber, and it did every time. As soon as I can I will go to the range for the final phase of verification that my methods worked.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts