1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range today and fired 50 rounds of CCI 230 grn ball through my pistol. The pistol is a Charles Daly 1911 FS. Later when cleaning it I noticed that the pin holding in the barrel link seemed very loose. It actual fell out when I turned the barrel over. Any suggestions as to how to fix it. This will be a duty weapon when I am confident it will work 100%. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

·
Registered
802 Posts
cwm

If the pin is too small in diameter, replace it with an aftermarket - assuming the link and lug holes are to spec - being a Daly they may or may not be.

If the pin is fitting snug, but slides out easily, you can stake the end to keep it from falling out.

It would be best if you measure the pin and holes to get the correct fit, but if you don't have the capability, buy standard and oversize link pins to try - Brownells sells them for about $4 each. I'd suggest replacing the link and pin together with quality parts since they get a lot of stress - you'll need to measure the original if you do to get a matching replacement length. A smith could do it very easily for you if you don't want to mess with it. HTH

·
Registered
69 Posts
IMO, it's not a problem. It's not as if the pin is going to come out when the slide is assembled.

FWIW, I have a 1982 Colt with 50k rounds through it where the pin is as loose as yours. Never had a problem with it other than making sure I don't lose it when I take the barrel out.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, it just worried me. This pistol is a possible duty weapon just dont want any doubts about the pistol before I carry it.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Nothing to do with loose barrel link pins, but ...

pxchang0, are you serious? 50K rounds, as in 50,000 rounds? That's a lot of shooting for one gun. What's your experience in terms of barrel life?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Just experienced the same problem with my SA Champion tonight. It's got a grand total of about 450 rounds through it so I didn't expect any wear this soon. The pin fell out when I field stripped it after today's range session.

Guess you've answered my question before I had a chance to ask it!

Mac

1 - 6 of 6 Posts