1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted some general comments about this in the CD forum, but a thought occured to me that I thought would be more appropriate here.

I have a Charles Daly EFS (one of the new ones) that is having a last round failure to go into battery problem. I sent it in to KBI and they think it was the inexpensive ammo I was using, and they fired it with Winchester and American Eagle with no problems. Well I fired it with the same ammo this weekend with lots of the same problems this weekend.

My thought is this: is it possible for a round to be fed that doesn't hook it's rim under the extractor? That is what seems to be happening, as the round goes almost all the way into the chamber, but not all the way. When I drop the mag and pull the slide the round falls out the mag well instead of being ejected. So it's like it's sitting there in the chamber, but the extractor is resting on the back of the round rather than under it's rim.

Also, it didn't start to happen until I had fired about 40 rounds - all the earlier ones went through the whole mag with no problems. I would fire two mags, then hunt for brass, then load and fire two more mags, so there was some time for cooldown between firings.

Oh, the original factory no-name mags had this problem, and they sent me back 2 MecGar's that are doing it too. 8-rounders.

Looking for some ideas on how to figure out what is going on. Do I need a new extractor? Change the mag followers?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Scott

·
Registered
157 Posts
If the last round was popping forward of the extractor, you wouldn't extract it at all when you pulled the slide back. Hmm.

I'd say start with fresh mags, Wilson, McCormick, Ed Brown, and try again.

Check the left side of the breechface for burrs, and check the chamber for being tight, rough or short. Extractor tension may be too tight, binding the round, or a combination of things.

Mysteries like this are what cause gunsmiths to drink.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The inability to cleanly eject a chambered round, with the mag removed, was one of many problems experienced with my kimber SM. In my case, the problem was with the extended ejector. The round would contact the ejector and begin the ejection process before the slide had moved back far enough to allow the nose of the bullet to clear the hood. The result was that the round would fall out the mag well. I simply shortened the ejector untill the rounds cleared reliably.

Don't have anything to offer on the last round FTF.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
The unique situation with the last round being fed is that the surface pushing up on the round cannot push as high as it would if there was another cartridge below it. That's why most followers use to be of a round profile; more like a cartridge.

I think the way manufacturers get around that is the corner between the ramped mouth of the barrel and the lower chamber wall are rounded very slightly. This allows the slide to push the cartrige into the chamber without it binding. As a test, remove the barrel from the gun and try manually feeding the cartrige into the chamber at a cocked angle such as when the last round being fed would look. Feel for a binding situation as you try to push the round in the chamber.

The other possibility is too tight an extractor. But try the chambering idea first and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Patrick Sweeney:
If the last round was popping forward of the extractor, you wouldn't extract it at all when you pulled the slide back. Hmm.

I'd say start with fresh mags, Wilson, McCormick, Ed Brown, and try again.

Check the left side of the breechface for burrs, and check the chamber for being tight, rough or short. Extractor tension may be too tight, binding the round, or a combination of things.

Mysteries like this are what cause gunsmiths to drink.

That's just what happened - i tilted the gun back (muzzle going up toward the sky) and pulled the slide back, and the round slid out of the chamber, down the mag well and out the bottom.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions! I tried out a couple of them last night.

1. A loaded cartridge slides easily in and out of the chamber, so I don't think that is the problem. Doesn't rattle around, but if I put one in and turn the barrel over, it drops right out.

2. I tried 10Ring's suggestion of sliding the cartridge into the barrel like it was being fed from a mag. I could tell when the case rim hit the top of the chamber because it started to drag a little, but I would expect that to happen because of the angle the cartridge is going in at. There didn't seem to be any obvious catches or hang-ups on the way in.

3. I also tried Patrick Sweeney's idea of checking the breechface. There didn't seem to be any burrs or anything there, but on the left side (opposite the extractor) it seemed to be a little difficult to slide a cartridge in there and have it smoothly go flat against the breechface. There is a little ledge there that seems to be a place to guide the rim of the cartridge as it slides in there - maybe on the last round there isn't enough tension in the mag spring to force the cartridge in there? I could polish that up a bit and see if that helps.

4. I have tried a couple of different mags on this - a McCormick Shooting Star that I borrowed from a friend, which gave me the same problem, and one that my brother-in-law uses in his Kimber. I thought it was a Kimber mag, but he said he bought it off someone else, so I don't know what it was. It didn't have the problem though, but I only ran it through once. Maybe I'll try that one again! And find out who makes it.

Well, if my theory is right about the little guide ledge, maybe a little polishing and a Wolff Xtra power mag spring will do the trick.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That little ledge is probably it. The sharp edge is left behind when the multiple broaching cuts to create the breechface don't line up exactly. If there was/is a small amount of copper shavings right there, then the rims are catching as the round slides up.

The last round may be more susceptible simply because there is less force to push upwards, with the spring at full extension in the mag tube.

A little judicious polishing to remove the sharp edge and ledge, and you should be in business.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bob C is right it may be the extractor. I had the same problem with my Daly FS. I tried everything and nothing worked. Someone suggested checking my extrator. So I had the extractor replaced and tensioned, and it functions flawlessly now.

Just my .02 worth!

·
Registered
47 Posts
had the same problem on my Kimber Eclipse..
switched magazines...no more problem.
the spring in the new mag had much more tension than the spring in the first one.

c

1 - 10 of 10 Posts