1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there had any dealings with the Service Department at KBI? I bought my first Charles Daly and ended up finding that it had *many* jamming problems of varied types. I thought that maybe they would work themselves out after the first few hundred rounds, but they didn't. I sent the gun back to the factory. so far they have been extremely responsive and helpful.

I'm just wondering if I'm going to get a fully functioning gun returned to me or if I'll still have problems. I'm nervous about it because I had a Kel Tec that had many problems. Kel Tec refused to replace it and failed to fix it. I ended up selling the gun for a loss. I'd hate to have that same thing happen here. I'd actually love to get a replacement since once a gun malfunctions so much, I get worried that it'll never work correctly.

Can anyone offer any comments about personal experiences -- good or bad? They said something like a 2 week turn around time. Is this realistic? I wish I could get it back sooner, but if it's going to be longer, I'd be really disappointed.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay... time for an update. I sent the gun back to KBI. They said that it's a 2 week turnaround time. Well, I got my gun sent back to me via FedEx overnight in about 10 days.

It appears to have had the feed ramp polished. that seems to be about it as far as I can tell. It was also a little dirty so I guess it was test fired.

I anxiously took it to the range. I had 3 FTF jams and one FTE jam w/i 100 rounds. Not exactly what I had hoped. But it was definitely better than before.

So I decided that I would do some minor smithing myself rather than send it back a second time. I polished the feed ramp to a mirror finish. I did the same to the chamber and the edge of the barrel. Same to the breech face. I polished up the bottom of the slide that contacts the hammer and the part of the hammer that contacts the slide. ;-) I also smoothed and polished the edges of the trigger, slide lock, and safety. Smooth and slick. I might just dehorn the entire gun myself once I save up the $$$ to get it refinished.

I cleaned it up really well afterward. Then I scrapped the factory mags and put out the money for a pair of Wilson 8rnd mags.

100 rounds of Lawman hardball and 25 round of 230gr. Golden Saber w/o so much as a hiccup.

In conclusion, KBI was polite and prompt. They did what they promised, however they failed to correct all my issues 100%. But they did get the gun working well enough that I could take it from there.

Now I have a 1911 that cost me less than $400 including the Wilson mags, tax, and fees... that works 100%.

My plan was to pick up a SA compact to use as a carry gun... now I'm thinking that I might consider another Chuck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts