1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a cheap 1911 for me to learn on. I had put a 1911 on layaway once, but took it off, and switched it to an HK because I did not feel I was ready for a 1911. Do you have any suggestions for a cheap 1911? I would definately consider used, as I just want something to learn the 1911 on. .

·
Registered
355 Posts
Quality remains long after price is forgotten.

That doesn't mean you have to buy a $1000 pistol, but I'd say a Springfield Armory milspec would be your baseline starting point.

Paul

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
I agree with Paul. Anything less and most likely your "learning experience" will turn into a nightmare!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Id rather not buy something NIB as I dont want to mess it up. Im not particularly opposed to buying something other than Colt or Springfield either, just want something basic and around $300 if that exists.

·
Registered
353 Posts
In the $300 dollar range

Norinco and Rock Island Armory are really your only choices

·
Registered
233 Posts
choose any two

price
quality
service

gunfinder has the sa military spec for $469

cdnn has the sa widebody micro compact for $499

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Re: In the $300 dollar range

telcom911 said:
Norinco and Rock Island Armory are really your only choices
Or a Sistema........I've been thinking really hard of getting one of these, very hard to beat for $300. Also made with Colt parts on Colt equipment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Go with a Spingfield. They might be 50 bucks more than the others but you get a better quality. Just my opinion. I'd take it barely over a norinco.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Do a search here for both "Rock Island" and "RIA" and check out the reports from people who actually own one. My RIA milspec has been 100% with over 500rds so far, fit/finish/trigger are good right out of the box, reliable & accurate, hard chromed bbl and no MIM/plastic parts or 2-piece bbls. What's not to like for less than $300?
Tomac

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
You should be able to find a NIB Springfield WWII for less than $400 or a NIB RIA for less than $300. I think new RIA's are much better quality wise than they once might have been, mine has been outstanding. I haven't priced the Sistema or Norinco but they have a great reputation. You definitely can't go wrong with a Sistema, which is essentially a Colt with Argentine markings.

Check an auction site like gunsamerica.com to find the cheapest dealer, then a reasonable FFL in your area to have it shipped to. Even with shipping and transfer fees, I can usually get out cheaper this way than paying 10% sales tax in TN.

Good luck and happy shooting! :D

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Timothy658, I doubt there is a 1911A1 in the $300 price range. You may well buy a used Sistema Colt 1927 but it won't be in great shape. Anything you buy in that price range is going to require work and money. If my name was Timothy658 I would look at a Kahr Military Spec 1911A1 or a Springfield LOADED. Regards, Richard:D

PS I have a Sistema Colt 1927 and a Ballester-Molina which I love but I put a bunch of money into both of them. Regards, Richard:D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Richard said:
Timothy658, I doubt there is a 1911A1 in the $300 price range. Anything you buy in that price range is going to require work and money.
I beg to differ, apparently you missed my post about the Rock Island Armory milspec .45 . It's in the $300 price range you mentioned and hasn't "required" any work (although I've added night sights, pachmayr grips and had the grip safety/hammer dehorned).
Tomac

·
Registered
140 Posts
i purchased a norinco for my "hobby" gun. it's a frankenstein used gun so i'm encouraged to take out the parts and install(and learn) on this pistol.

-kotonk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Richard, I differentiate between wanted extras and work needed to ensure reliability & a modicum of accuracy. I don't consider the extra money (which in my case wasn't "a bunch") I put into my RIA as "dumped" (I would have ended up spending the same amount on extras on any .45 that didn't already have them). Perhaps it's just your wording as you say that any .45 in the $300 price range will *require* "work and money" (what work is required & why?). Perhaps if you'd been a little more specific... If someone is interested in a good, basic no-frills entry-level .45 right out of the box then IMHO the RIA milspec is hard to beat whether or not they want "extras" and if they do want extras then the money they've saved helps defray the cost of those extras. Just my $.02 worth...
Tomac

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Tomac, my point is that there are very few 45acp handguns for $300 that will satisfy a shooters needs without alteration. The only one I have bought lately was a Bersa Thunder 45acp; the darned thing shoots right out of the box. The only thing I need for it before I use it as a carry weapon is a second magazine. Regards, Richard:D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Richard said:
Tomac, my point is that there are very few 45acp handguns for $300 that will satisfy a shooters needs without alteration. The only one I have bought lately was a Bersa Thunder 45acp; the darned thing shoots right out of the box. The only thing I need for it before I use it as a carry weapon is a second magazine. Regards, Richard:D
Richard, I understand your point but it comes across as a generalization. What would require alteration on a $300 RIA milspec (for example) that wouldn't require similar alteration on a $400+ SA milspec (for example)? Timothy658 hasn't mentioned anything yet about wanting anything more than "a cheap .45 to learn on".
Tomac

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Tomac, I guess, using your criteria I would look for a basic 1911 with useable sights. My gut feeling is the Kahr 1911 Government would work for me as I have been told it is a good pistol and has nice sights. The problem you have with fixing up a clunker is that when you change the grip safety you may have to change the hammer and sear for compatibility etc. Someone else suggested a Norinco. I haven't seen one of them for less than $350 in years and I doubt if you can find one for $400 today. Peace and regards, Richard:D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts