1911Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Administrator
78,171 Posts
The WW2 Mil-Specs are indeed great guns for the money. I suspect after awhile Springfield is going to raise the price on these, because I can't see where they cut any corners to reduce their cost.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Timothy658 said:
Id rather not buy something NIB as I dont want to mess it up.
What's to mess up? Unless your going to go through combat traning I don't see what your going to mess up on one. In fact the one your going to carry is the one you ought to learn how to shoot. And the only way to shoot one good is to shoot it a lot.

DE

·
Registered
99 Posts
DesertEagleCal5 said:
What's to mess up? Unless your going to go through combat traning I don't see what your going to mess up on one. In fact the one your going to carry is the one you ought to learn how to shoot. And the only way to shoot one good is to shoot it a lot.

DE
I agree DE!

I bought my first pistol, a Springfield 1911A-1 Mil Spec in October. I did not want a pistol that was already "messed up." It's nice to have a reliable firearm.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
WW2 S.F.

I am very happy with my ww2 repro. For the money it would be very difficult to do better. I found one for 389.00 and bought it on the spot. Dealer said it was the last one and had sold 6 others at the show. SoSo trigger but the rest is very well put together. At the dealer in town they are 459.00. One with black grips and one with brown. A bit under 400 seems to be a good price.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: WW2 S.F.

fxntime said:
A bit under 400 seems to be a good price.
You did good fxntime! ;)

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Norinco Import

I tried to get my Norinco down to the States for some custom work. Not a chance. Nor could I bring a Norinco into the States to attend a shoot I am told. Don't know why either would be a problem to George & Crew if the gun was returning to Canada but that is what I was told, no exceptions.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Timothy658, I would suggest that you read my post "My choice in a basic 45". It may help. I found the Rock Island Armory to be a lot of pistol for $339; figure on $370 out the door. If you can swing it, the Auto Ordnance has no flies on it. $446 out the door.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have to say this

I live in Houston, there is a gunshow today and as the trend has been going, springfield is absolutely selling the crap out of pistols. If you look at one of the "background" tables as I call them, they are about 70% or better of the guns people are gonna walk out with. A boatload are the Mil-spec, and WW2.
Must be alot of people investing in "clunkers"

:hrm:

·
Registered
381 Posts
"clunker?"

dsk said:
I don't know about Richard, but my definition of "clunker" can just as easily include a $1200 factory custom pistol that still manages to choke out of the box. I know, because I recently bought one! :mad:

Jim Keenan is particularly fond of his $250-ish Norincos which have never failed him, so don't ever say you get what you pay for when it comes to 1911s.
DK,
Could you elaborate on your clunker? What was it? Thanks,

Larry C.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RIA..I agree!!

Tomac said:
Do a search here for both "Rock Island" and "RIA" and check out the reports from people who actually own one. My RIA milspec has been 100% with over 500rds so far, fit/finish/trigger are good right out of the box, reliable & accurate, hard chromed bbl and no MIM/plastic parts or 2-piece bbls. What's not to like for less than $300?
Tomac
I agree TOMAC! I have owned them all. I recently aquired an RIA and I can tell all who read this that it is a well made 45 auto fighter. It works and is all steel. The officers size is my personal favorite. My experience (and hands on knowledge) is when you are lookin at true 1911 guns, via parts interchangeability(hellava word), is the manufactures assured quality of the pistol out the door. Example: I recently bought a Kimber Ultra carry. This gun had a mussy safety(no click either way). I was told Kimber will make that right. OK, I felt well its a Kimber right? I ran the gun. One magazine and It started a hammer follow thing!!! I darn near blew my leg off as I was inspecting why the gun would not stay cocked. Grip safety was pinching trigger parts and the sear was remaining active allowing the hammer to follow the slide. Long story short.I as many fighters do..expect that when buying a "name brand" over a clone, that you are really buying reliablity and assurance that the guns has been checked and approved out of the shop. Especially Kimber!! I traded the Kimber for a Glock and purchased a RIA 45. I am disappointed in Kimber for allowing a sloppy pistol to ship. That is really what you pay for when you buy Name brands. RIA is a good fighting handgun.!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
robertbank said:
I tried to get my Norinco down to the States for some custom work. Not a chance. Nor could I bring a Norinco into the States to attend a shoot I am told. Don't know why either would be a problem to George & Crew if the gun was returning to Canada but that is what I was told, no exceptions.
I think someone was wrong. Who told you that?

I have a Norinco NMH-91, which I bought here and shoot regularly.

The Bush administration banned imports for two years from Norinco for selling missile parts to Iran, effective May 9, 2003. Norinco sold parts for ballistic missiles to the Shahid Hemmat Industrial Group, an Iranian producer of medium and long-range missiles. See, U.S. bans imports from huge Chinese conglomerate.

The ban is not against owning or possessing a Norinco, which probably would be unconstitutional. It is not against buying a Norinco firearm. I bought my NMH-91 in November from a pawn shop, six months after the ban began. The ban is against importing Norinco products, or for Norinco or others from exporting its products here

The ban expires May 9, 2005, so long as the ChiComs aren't caught selling any more WMD technology to rogue countries.

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Importing Norincos

ATF indicated to me that ban extends to "Aliens", Canadians are "Aliens" in your contry from "Importing", which is what I would be doing, the Norinco handgun into the States. If you know this to be wrong sure would like to here moe as I would like to take the guns down to Thunder Ranch next year.

Bob

·
Registered
99 Posts
robertbank said:
ATF indicated to me that ban extends to "Aliens", Canadians are "Aliens" in your contry from "Importing", which is what I would be doing, the Norinco handgun into the States. If you know this to be wrong sure would like to here moe as I would like to take the guns down to Thunder Ranch next year.

Bob
Hi Bob,

That would concern me, too. I would hesitate to cross the border with my Norinco, with only that information.

My initial impression is he is wrong, but I couldn't find a copy of the ban on the internet. I suggest calling another ATF office. Whatever advice they give you, why not ask for a copy of the Order banning Norinco products? Or, ask them where you can get it.

Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
sases

Ilooked at the local dealer on his springfields and the blockey frame had black grips while the regular looking frame had brown grips. At the show today I saw ww2 reps for 449 stainless for 499. So they are going up. I bought a ww2 colt govt instead.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Where is "Here"

fxntime said:
Ilooked at the local dealer on his springfields and the blockey frame had black grips while the regular looking frame had brown grips. At the show today I saw ww2 reps for 449 stainless for 499. So they are going up. I bought a ww2 colt govt instead.
Yesterday at the show here in Houston, I saw several SA WW2's both with new "US" grips and the other grips. All were around $369-$389. (well with the occasional nut that tried for like $450)

As well as many locations here that have them for sale. I am seeing no sign of a price increase.

:hrm:

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.