1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new SA Champion GI and bought some Wilson 47D mags. I went to the range with abox of the Winchester white box and it fed perfectly and shot just fine.

I got home that night and ordered some CMC 10 RD Power mags. When I got them I went back to the range but bought a box of cheap Blazer ammo. I loaded the mag up and inserted it. When I racked the slide, the first round would jam up and not chamber. If I dropped the jammed round out, the next would not ramp either. It seemed to finally load the 3rd or 4th round just fine and ran great for the rest of the mag-load.

I also tried it with the Wilson 47D that previously ran flawlessly with the WWB ammo and it jammed the first few rounds as well with the blazer ammo.

I haven't tried the WWB with the CMC 10 rounders yet though.

Dan

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Nutro,

I have a Springfield 5" Loaded. I use both Springfield Mags and Wilson 47C Mags, but never have any jam with cheap CCI Blazer or Magtech 230 FMJ ammos. 47C Mags have the low profile steel pads, instead of plastic pads come with 47D.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is it the Blazer Brass, or the aluminum Blazer? I have never had a problem with the brass cased Blazer, but the aluminum is pure garbage. I would never torture a 1911 with such garbage ammo, I tried it in my MilPro and my Beretta and it was malfunction junction.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Blazer Brass

Look rounds sitting in the box. Blazer Brass has had some serious quality control issues. They do not crimp properly from the factory causing the rounds to be different lengths, protruding lips, and bulllet setback. I know its the best deal out there but look at each box before you purchase.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I shoot WWB, Remington and CCI Blazer Alum through all my 1911's (.45's and/or 9mm's) on a regular basis and have had zippo problems to date. Because of the price I shoot a lot (well over 100,000 rounds) of the CCI Alum case stuff, and it has functioned fine.

I do know that some guns can be ammo picky/sensitive but I have had only two guns that tended that way and both got a quick ramp polish and a small bit of throating work if so needed.

Let us know what you find out.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Schwebel said:
Is it the Blazer Brass, or the aluminum Blazer? I have never had a problem with the brass cased Blazer, but the aluminum is pure garbage. I would never torture a 1911 with such garbage ammo, I tried it in my MilPro and my Beretta and it was malfunction junction.
I only used CCI Balzer aluminum. No failure at all. But Blazer alum ammo does leave noticeable burn-on powder residue in the barrel. I am struggle to clean it up completely. Is there any suggestion for removing burn-on residue? Bore cleaning compound/paste???

·
Registered
520 Posts
Check the OAL of your CCI Blazer ammo. My SA Loaded does not feed reliable CCI Blazers Brass, but it does not fail with WWB, Hydra-Shocks, reloaded ammo (moly lead and jacketed). I checked the OAL and found out that they are longer than the 1.262" of WWB, and also the bullet shape is a little wider on the mid section than WWB. I do not use CCI Blazer anymore.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm I cycled the Blazer and the WWB ammo today before I came to work using both magazines and they chambered just fine. I only loaded 3 rounds of each into each mag. Maybe it was a problem with a fully loaded mag. I'm goin to the range tomorrow and will try to figure it out further.

Dan

·
Registered
449 Posts
I agree that the ogive is a little thicker on the Blazer Brass than other ammo, and I had some problems with my otherwise reliable Champion having premature slide lock. I checked the bullet to slide lock relationship and found that on mine I had a lot of excess slide lock protruding into the magwell. I filed this down by hand with a small file and it does not hit the bullet anymore. I have not had a chance to shoot it to see if I fixed it. You may have a tolerance problem with your set up. If the overall length is just a little long, or the magazine is not controlling that next to last round like a lot of aftermarket mags fail to do, that could be your problem. I had lots of problems with 7 out of 7 Chip McCormick mags that would lose control of the last round and leave it standing straight up free of the magazine, bullet pointing skyward out of ejection port. I changed all of my springs and followers to the Tripp Research rebuild kits and have not had anymore of those kind of failures.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I've not really used much of the Blazer Brass, but that aluminum stuff is just crap. I've never had so many issues relating to ammunition in my life. I avoid that stuff at all costs. I won't even generally take that ammunition for free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts