1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up some of the cheapo ammo at the last gun show here in KC just to see how it did in my 1911s. The cheap stuff has worked good for me so far in .223, 7.62x39, 22LR, .380, 9mm and .40 so I figured what the hell.

What was tried: Blazer aluminum cased FMJ, Wolf FMJ and Ultramax round nosed lead bulk pack.

The gun: Dan Wesson Bobtail with external extractor. (This is the only one I've tried so far. We'll see how the others do later).

The Blazer was fantastic. Feeding, extraction and ejection were all flawless. I still get occasional forehead impacts from my DW Bobtail and with the aluminum case it didn't hurt. :biglaugh: Accuracy was as good as the WWB and UMC that I normally shoot. All in all I will be picking up all the 45 ACP Blazer I run across at a decent price. Current batch cost approx $7.50 a box.

The Wolf was okay. It fed fine. I had one failure to extract in 100 rounds which left the spent case in the chamber and tried to feed another round which jammed the slide. My DW has an external extractor which didn't look the worse for wear. I would have been more concerned if this had happened on one of my internal extractor guns. Ejection was fine with the Wolf. Accuracy was just as good as the Blazer, WWB and UMC. Overall, I'll check my chamber to make sure there isn't a burr which caused the extraction problem. If not then I'll likely stop using Wolf in this gun. Cost was approx $6.50 a box.

The Ultramax was about the same as the Wolf. Feeding was fine. I had one failure to extract out of about 100 rounds. It jammed the same way the Wolf did. Again, I'll check for a burr (maybe caused by the Wolf?) and maybe try again. Ejection was fine. Accuracy was on par with the others. The big difference between this and the other ammo is that it is filthy and smokey. The inside of the barrel looked like hell with soot and lead pieces (the pieces were very small but it was definitely lead). I will probably finish this stuff off out at the farm. I'm not going to use it at the indoor range anymore. As far as cleaning, it cleaned up fine. I am anal about cleaning after each shooting session anyway so that doesn't make much difference. Cost was approx $8.00 a box.

I'll be trying my Dan Wesson Panther and Springfield GI with these same types of ammo over the next few weeks. The Ultramax will still likely be resticted to the farm. I would say that the extra price for the Blazer is worth it over the Wolf for this gun and the Wolf is better than the Ultramax for being a little cleaner and more useable indoors.

Chris

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just bought 1000 of em, hope I like them too. It was between them or some Fiocchi's, but the CCI's were like $20 cheaper. I searched the internet and couldn't get a confirmed favorite between the two.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I use the CCI Blazer almost exclusively in my .45s. It has been outstanding for me. Shoots clean, is reliable, and has a bit more oomph than WWB.:rock:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts