1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this wire shelf (I think it is "Closetmate") at Home Depot for about 6 bucks. Learned that my 1911's with reg gov. rear sights fit perfectly as the sight snaps between the coated wires, even with the socks on. Really helped me utilize more space with less stacking.
I also bought one of those cloth shoe holders that hangs from a closet door and I'm going to screw that on the door of the safe to hold more. It was only 5 dollars and it looks like it will do the same job as those pricey door hangers from the safe makers:D

Attachments

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Will they not fall over when the rack is bumped?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They are fairly secure. I mean, if I shook the shelf I'm sure I could get them to move, but it is inside the safe and the revolvers on each end aren't going anywhere. I did put them all in socks and I think this is better than the precarious stacking jobs I've done previously. This isn't everything in there yet either. Hence the additional space on the side. Time for a bigger safe.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
...I also bought one of those cloth shoe holders that hangs from a closet door and I'm going to screw that on the door of the safe to hold more. ...
Looks like it does the job. I've done something similar but went one step farther. I cut down the gun socks and re-sewed the end shut so they were just the right length for the 1911's. They fit a lot better now.

And before you go too far with your shoe hanger, make sure you can still close your safe door once it's installed AND filled with guns.

Trust me on that last bit.

dakotaTex

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I used these rods and wire hangers to greatly increase the capacity of my safe. There is dead space below the rear site in the back and above the trigger guard in the front in a conventional "leaning" rifle rack. These rods stand the long guns up and remove the dead space. The hangers are long square S shapes that hook on the shelf and then let you slide the barrel over the tail of the S that hangs below the shelf.

You put the plastic rod down the barrel and then lift it up and stick the disk to the velcro you mount under your top shelf.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Some clever storage ideas. Thx.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts