Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cheaper than Dirt Link Scam

Beware everyone. I purchased some ammo from Cheaper Than Dirt last night and paid for it with my credit card on line. The last page of their forms had a line saying click here for your free gift. I clicked on it expecting a coupon or something for my next purchase. Boy was I surprised when I found out I had automatically subsribed to some kind of discount service, using the credit card number I had given to Cheaper than Dirt. I immediately called the dicount service and cancelled the subscription. I also called and wrote Cheaper than Dirt about what happend. This was not a popup but part of their website. I was, and I still am upset about this. Cheaper than Dirt gave my credit card out to someone else. I shop on line all the time so I am pretty experienced. I have never had this happen before. Please be careful when purchasing items from Cheaper Than Dirt and other places.
Wolf :hrm:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
If that's all there is to this story -- if CTD doesn't have a good explanation -- then the rest of my business will go to ammoman and Natchez. Who needs to deal with that nonsense?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
wolfcoln said:
I also called and wrote Cheaper than Dirt about what happend
Dear Wolf,

What did they tell you? Could you also please describe this service which you unintentionally signed up for? Thank you. Gary

·
Registered
101 Posts
Please let us know what the outcome is.

I had ordered a item from JC Whitney a couple of years ago and they sold my Credit Card information to a sister company. After a few weeks I had received a coupon book full of worthless coupons to places like the A&W root beer factory. Well they charged me $180 bucks for the coupons! Boy was I pissed. I contacted the BBB and had everything taken care of. But I will never do business with JC Whitney again.

Sad when you trust these big companies, and they try to pull a fast one on you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
CTD tried to say I clicked on some pop up. I did not. It was something on the last page of my order saying something like "click here for your free prize". The website is called that CTD sent me too is "The Reservation Rewards Team. I will check my transactions in my account today to see what happened. They did send me a cancellation confirmation number, so I am keeping a close eye on that.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
CTD Shenanigans

Same thing happened to me. I won't buy from 'em anymore. Too bad, 'cause they had some good guys in their retail storefront.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've seen that "Click here to claim your prize" link at the end of transactions for other stores as well (mostly computer parts stores). The couple of times I clicked on that, I was offered a "special price" on a discount club. I never had it automatically charge my card, though...

Have you contacted CTD to see what they had to say about it? I've never had issues with them in the 5 or so orders I've placed in the past (though I've not ordered from them in probably 6 months).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,
All CTD would do was take my comment (I called them). They tried to put the blame on me saying that it was a pop up, something not part of their website. I was so disatisfied by their answer I also wrote to complain. I have yet to receive a reply from them. Maybe I will receive a reply, maybe not. I have delt with them for about 13 years. Because of what happend, I shall no longer use their service, cheap ammo or not

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Just so everyone knows I contacted Cheaper Than Dirt about this situation and invited them to give their side of this situation either here on 1911 Forum or by email to me. If they should choose to answer it here please show them the same courtesy which you would show any invited guest. Thank you. Gary

------------------

"If you can't say anythng nice, then don't say anything at all." mothers everywhere

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wolf, if the "free gift" link transfered your credit card information and used it, I would go to http://www.fraud.com/ and post the information there. Unless they have some safeguard built in (like a "do you want to charge x$s to your credit card", then it is fraud. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I work here at Cheaper Than Dirt and I forwarded the email that Gary W Trott sent to our Marketing Manager. I am posting his response since I happen to be registered here.

I would like to clarify a few things about Wolf’s post on Cheaper Than Dirt. Cheaper Than Dirt does not “automatically” transfer anyone’s credit card #, email address or other personal information to anyone, period. Privacy is a very big issue and a major concern for us. Being the marketing guy for Cheaper Than Dirt, I’m the one responsible for privacy, and I’m also the one responsible for the link that Wolf clicked on after he placed his order. When a customer has completed an order with us, they go to the order confirmation page. At the bottom of that page, there is a link to “claim a special reward.” This link takes you to Reservation Rewards website where you are offered a $10 cash back coupon from your next purchase at Cheaper Than Dirt if you sign up for their program. Directly above the box where you enter your email address and click “YES” to sign up, there is a statement that reads: “By entering my email address as my electronic signature and clicking YES, I have read and agree to the Offer Details and authorize Cheaperthandirt.com to securely transfer my name, address and credit or debit card information to Reservation Rewards for billing and benefit processing.” This being said, I would encourage all of you to never sign up for anything on the web without first reading and understanding what you are doing. I apologize if Wolf feels he was misled in any way – it is not and was not our intent to mislead him. In reality, Reservation Rewards and their offer are legitimate – I’m a member myself. They are an upstanding business that will gladly refund any charges at any time. We at Cheaper Than Dirt have been working with them for over a year now and have never once had a bad experience. They realize they are dealing with our customers, and would never do anything to jeopardize that relationship. If any of you have had any negative experiences with them, please let us know. If you would like more clarification on this, please send me an email at [email protected]. Thanks –Jared Tanner

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jared, thank you very much for the clarification. I work in the computer security field, and, as you know, there is an enormous amount of online fraud going on. You have no idea the amount of bad stuff I deal with. From your explanation, it's obvious that you are presenting all the relevant information needed for your customers to make informed decisions. Please ignore my comments on reporting fraud. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
As much as I HATE those fine print disclaimers and having to read every little piece of text found on a website before clicking anything (link or button), in this case it seems like a "legitimate transaction" (legally speaking). Just like Mike said: "…never sign up for anything on the web without first reading and understanding what you are doing…", and always read the fine print.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Everyone,
Yep, Jarred Tanner is correct. I should have read the fine print, but the “claim a special reward.” was not something I thought would lead me to another website. If it led to another website, that website should have asked for me credit card information, it should not have been automatically been transfered from CTD website. No matter what the fine print said
Springfield, Para-ordance and others have coupons you can get off their website with out having to subscribe to another service. That is what I thought I was getting.

Maybe I am wrong to complain about this, maybe it is a good deal for gun owners to use this service. Go to the CTD, and make up your own mind. I did receive a reply to my complaint but I am still not satisfied with their explaination.
I think I shall refrain from using them again.

Thanks Wolf

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
wolfcoln,

I think that were quite justified in complaining about the link. Further, I think that CTD's explanation leaves a lot to be desired. I, for one, will not do business with them in the future.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Looks like its legal, but still seems kind of sneaky.
It is good to hear the explanation right from the sourse.
Thank you mchgnmike.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I've allways bought CTD, no problems, never fell for the sign up
thing, just checked out, but I know Sportsms guide is sister to
CTD I signed up and payed for disscounts, I buy alot of wierd stuff
plus ammo, CTD is ok!

:barf:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.