1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I picked up this Series 80 Gold Cup for $700. Appears to be shot very little if at all. Besides a slide release scratch on the frame, finish appears flawless. It also has a very low serial number. Is this gun worth sending off to Colt for a letter?

I have a Dan Wesson target model 1911, but this is my first Colt and my first Commander model.

Also, was this a decent price...it was sort of an impulse purchase.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Awesome deal, and that would make a great CCW!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any way to check the production number of this gun, I have been told that some where produced in fairly low numbers. Also, are these the original grips? The reason I ask is the guy I bought the gun from (who is a close friend of mine) wants the grips. If they are original...I might just buy him a new pair and keep these, even though I want to put wood grips on it.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,288 Posts
I don't believe the grips are original. I have not seen a Colt with Pachmayr medallions; Colt had their own medallions inserted in the grips.
The idiot scratch is unfortunate, but not too tough to remedy, on a stainless frame.
Nice gun.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Today I picked up this Series 80 Gold Cup for $700 ... was this a decent price...
Decent price? No! ... you stole it, man. Would you be my agent for my next buy?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
good looking commander! for 700 bucks you got an awesome deal. now go and find the original grips for that gun.. lol..

and yes it would be good for concealed carry, but there are many on here that will cry if you get it all scratched up.. lol.. thats a safe queen to many i think..

good job!

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, this is not a carry gun for me...to pretty. I think I'm going to do some minor (reversible) upgrades to it and use it was a nice weather shooter and barbecue gun. I think I'm going to change the levers (thumb safety, slide lock, mag release, and possibly grip safety) to polished blued...I think it will look really good. On top of that, I'm going to put a nice set of checkered wood grips on it (probably rosewood), have a trigger job done, and MAYBE put a small compensator on it for looks. Everything other than the trigger job is reversible so I don't think it would hurt the collector value and it should look sweet.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Blade sights?

I've never seen a Gold Cup Commander before with blade sights on the rear. I thought they all had the typical adjustable Gold Cup rear sights, as on the one shown below:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've never seen a Gold Cup Commander before with blade sights on the rear. I thought they all had the typical adjustable Gold Cup rear sights, as on the one shown below
Thats what I've been hearing in a couple other threads. This gun has turned out to be more interesting than I expected.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts