1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went out to the website. Prices look like they went up $200 per gun. WOW!

Nothing like demand as well. My buddy called them and they have put every gunsmith on building guns. He told him it would be months to get his Wilson front strap checkered and armor tuff.

I'm plain stunned.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
I wonder how much of the price increase is caused by the cost of the "safety regulations" in California.

Terry Peters

·
Registered
986 Posts
If that were the case, Wilson's should have tagged it onto guns going to CA as a surcharge.

Kalifornians, fire away. I'm running for cover.

·
Registered
364 Posts
While I too hate to see the price of Wilson's rise, it is just the basic law of supply and demand comming into play. If Wilson's makes 500 guns a year and still has a 7 month back log of orders, they can raise their prices until the supply and demand more evenly match. A $200.00 per unit price increase times 500 guns only grosses $100,000.00 to Wilson's. With that they can only add another gunsmith or two who can only produce a bit more product. And yes, I am sure the cost of doing business in several states such as Kalifornia or the threat of fighting anti-gun suits does add additional pressure for all Mfgs to raise their prices. Plus Wilson's is supposed open a new plant here in the USA in the next year or two and that is very expensive.

The cost of desire is always high. As long as real or perceived quality, scaricity and demand are there, they will always find a common but pricey point that most may not afford. A vicious but natural occurance.

The good news from all of this is those of us with Wilson's receive the side benifit of having the value of our used pieces rise also.

Good shooting,

Dean

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had a CQB on order since 12/19/00. I called today to see if the new price increase put the screws to my order. Indeed yes, the prices went into effect 11/1/00. Wilson sales people didn't even know that prices were going up when my order was placed. Pretty bad business practices, but they got me by the balls. I'll continue to look, but probably will never find a better 1911. BOHICA=Bend Over Here It Comes Again

------------------
Steve
"Keep your powder dry and be ready to march at a moments notice"

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Unfortunately this is written in stone in the gun business as well as in any business.

Costs increase and regulations get worse.

The cost of doing business always goes up when regulations get worse.

We the consumer may or may not pay for it.

Time will tell.

As far as regulation increasing costs. I have heard not verified (rumor control) on the California guns the costs of the required safety parts (whatever California requires over the rest of the world) will be added to those guns specifically going to California.

This is a guess here. The cost of the California testing will be spread to the all of guns as with all of the other gun makers.

Anyone got any other ideas.

Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't really think about the impact of California's SB-15 (The testing required for all handguns sold by Dealers in the PRKa)

However talking to one Custom Production 1911 Mfg, he told me the cost for testing one model for Kali is $7000. The State requires 3 guns be destroyed in the testing.

So Wilson is submitting all their Steel guns for testing. How many models do they have between Compact and Full size, 5? 10? Figure Wilson is going to spend 25 to 50 thousand to eventually get on line in Kali.

Another factor is no frames/slides can be sold in Kali now. No gunsmiith can build a gun from scratch. Its even questionable whether they can modify a gun. I would bet Wilson et al is losing significant parts business as well.

The sales of any firearm are 10-20% of what they were at the end of the year and less than 10% of what it was in 1999.

I realize Wilson is overbooked/sold now but I bet if you asked them about their long term picture it is not as busy.

SB-15 was suppose to prevent the sale of cheap, concealable, unsafe? ie Davis, Jennings, Raven guns. Funny a Davis is approved! All it has done has made the handgun an unaffordable right in Kali.

·
Registered
986 Posts
They don't pass gun regulations that do what they are proposed to do, only what they are disguised to do. That is, prevent law abiding citizens from owning/buying guns. Period! Our politians can say whatever they want, but the bottom line is always the same. The criminal gets whatever the hell he wants and we all (avg citizen) suffer for it.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by Orion Gunworks:
SB-15 was suppose to prevent the sale of cheap, concealable, unsafe? ie Davis, Jennings, Raven guns. Funny a Davis is approved! All it has done has made the handgun an unaffordable right in Kali.
Possibly... I think it was the first in a series of steps to kill the handgun, and ultimately the firearms market in California.

It's like, okay, here's the standards you must meet... In a year or two, those will change, and "tougher" standards will be required, ultimately, all the manufacturers will stop playing as CA ups the ante.

Since they can't take them away from us right now, they can work to stop them from getting to us. It's like the 86 C3 laws, no new machine guns, and so slowing those that exist will be more expensive, and eventually depleted supplies will remove the legal possession issues. Of course, there will always be illegal guns for the bangers.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've had a KZ45 on order for a couple of months and was planning on placing an order for a Classic in the very near future. I own a Springfield full size that I like alot. The increase may not stop me from my Classic purchase, but it certainly will lead me into taking a closer look at the Springfields.

·
Registered
268 Posts
This is a tough one. Did they quout you the old or new price when you placed the order?

Originally posted by Doc:
I have had a CQB on order since 12/19/00. I called today to see if the new price increase put the screws to my order. Indeed yes, the prices went into effect 11/1/00. Wilson sales people didn't even know that prices were going up when my order was placed. Pretty bad business practices, but they got me by the balls. I'll continue to look, but probably will never find a better 1911. BOHICA=Bend Over Here It Comes Again

·
Registered
428 Posts
Oh well,guess I'll get one anyway,I guess. Have a 70 Series Gold Cup and a Premier II. Wanted a Wilson simply because I didn't have one. Really should have one. Really should,LOL.

------------------

NRA/GOA/GOTF

·
Registered
57 Posts
John Boy, they quoted me the old (low) price on 12/19/00 as the order was placed. When I called the other day on Jan 11th, John said that prices have now gone up and they were effective Nov 1st 2000. Of course, I asked if my order was included.lol John said that my old price was no longer valid. Bite the bullet I guess. I bought a Kimber today, a fullsize CDP. I still have the CQB on order. The Kimber will be worn out by the time the CQB arrives.

------------------
Steve
"Keep your powder dry and be ready to march at a moments notice"

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
My Sentinel went up a $100. I wonder how many of you pay what the book cost for these? The gunshop where I bought mine knocked 10% off retail and still made a profit. But Custom guns would garner only a 5% decrease, which was one of the overriding reasons I never got the SDS for concealed carry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts