1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright all of you 1911 ologists.

This is from a recent range experience, about two hours ago.

One of my customers recently purchased an Urban Millenium which I stock and had a few fail to fully go in battery and after a whack on the mag the gun went into battery. The buyer was rightfully concerned about the gun.

The shooter and I went to the range and got the gun for a good work out to localize what we figured was wrong.

Gun, mag, operator, or ammo.

Here is the deal.

Ammo with problem. Federal American Eagle. 230 ball or gun with a problem.

This is what we did.

I had about 4 boxes of the Eagle, 6 boxes of Winchester white box (4 of the 230 ball and 2 of the 185 "no power jam-o-matic" target loads and several hundred of my super crud cast bullet of wheel weights with my on casting which is guaranteed to totaly crud a gun in 50 rounds.

To have a start point we fired 5 or 6 mags of my guaranteed to crud a gun reloads so all factors would be the same after that.

No FTF.

Then we shot a box or so of the American Eagle and had several FTF. We also shot a box or so of the Winchester 230 ball white box. No FTF.

Then we shot some of the weak sub powered 185 Winchester white box. No FTF.

Hmmmmmmmm. Is this an ammo problem.

We then mixed the last three hundred of rounds so if there was a FTF we could extract the bullet and see which one.

Remember the gun is very hot, and very dirty.

We shot and reloaded as fast as we could and we were seeing the heat mirage from the slide to the front sight.

Lets just say our one hole groups were not. Operator problem.

Of the 300 or so more rounds 10 FTF. Eight Federal American Eagle, One Whichester 230 ball and one 185 Wimp loads. All of the 50 or so super crud reloads of mine in the mix feed and shot without a problem. About one third of the shooting was done single weak handed to see if there was a chance at the potential for limp wristing. The only FTF were again the Federal American Eagle.

The only varible we saw when examining the ammo was the taper crimp or what ever Federal crimp is was sharper then all of the other ammo.

I then took my own personal demo CQB and shot another hundred of so of the Federal 230 Ball using the same 5 mags and had no FTF.

Problem. 95% ammo and 5% gun. I will send the gun back to Wilson to check the chamber just to be sure but.........

Moral to this way too long post.

Check the taper crimps on your ammo.

Yes, I know I am going to hear that many folk shoot the American Eagle by the train car load without a problem.

All I am trying to get across is check your tamper crimps on the bulk or generic ammos as all of it is not the same.

I hope this helps.
------------------
Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters
http://www.pt-partners.com

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end.

[This message has been edited by PT-Partners (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Terry

I, and two other people I know, have had a similar experience with a Kimber Gold Match. Except our situation was 90% gun and 10% ammo. In our case it was FMJ ammo from PMC, Federal American Eagle, Remington UMC, Speer Lawman, Winchester white box, and a couple of others I do not remember. So your advice is a good reminder that normally high quality ammo can be the source of a problem.

In our case a little more barrel throat and polish corrected the situation.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Failure to fuly chamber is either caused by friction or a spring that is weak in the closed [slide in battery] position. Could be a combination of both. Friction can be caused by an overtight chamber. GLV

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
GLV

In my case, the case mouth of the ammo being used was catching on the shoulder of the barrel during feeding. Close examination of the case and the barrel revealed a bright spot where this was occuring. From Terry's descreption, it sounds like this was also the case for his customers pistol.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts