1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HD is at Kimber and while it's there, I thought about having them checkering the front strap. I like the feel of it but is there any good reason to, or not to spend the $150 or so to have it done other than appearance?

And what real difference is there in 20lpi and 30lpi? I'm changing out the MSH with an arched Fusion and matching the checkering seems like the main consideration.

They did recommend replacing the recoil springs which I agree needs to be done, but I may do it myself instead of having them do it. Anything else that would be good to have them do while it's there?

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Their price isn't bad and since it's there, no shipping ;).

There is, IMO, a big difference between 20 lpi and 30. 20 just plain hurts my hands after a while. If you need to adjust your grip, it's much easier with finer checkering (I know, you shouldn't have to adjust your grip...but sometimes you do.) 30 is like sandpaper or grip tape but looks better. You get a good grip with 30 lpi and it's hard to cut your hands :).

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
It'll cost you alot more to ship it out to have it done later! Shipping is around $40 each way. If you want it, do it now! I'd recommend it. My buddy Kruzr likes the pansy 30, but I agree that 20 is pretty heavy. Can't they do a 25?
Tracy

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I find skateboard or stair tread tape to be preferable and a hell of a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I like 20lpi, but any is better than none....

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Try skateboard tape for a season. If you like it you'll probably not waste your money in checkering. If you don't like it you'll remove it and probably not waste your money in checkering either! ;)

I find agressive checkering slows getting a good grip on the pistol from the holster, a kinda important task. Shooting long strings at fixed targets is secondary to my requirements.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ditto the suggestions by tegamu and Chuck. If you want to do it the easy way you might consider the Front Strap Tape sold by VG Grips. It's just 3M stair tape precut to fit the front strap on a 1911. You pay for the convenience($6.50) for three precut applications, but it is quick and convenient. It is available as a grit tape as well as in a less aggressive non-grit rubber form.

While the tape solution lacks the "WOW Factor" of a checkered front strap, I actually prefer the feel and grip of tape over that of checkering in this instance.

Front Strap Tape offers low cost as well as the ability to switch between more aggressive and less aggressive surfaces or to return to a smooth front strap as your needs and preferences change.

·
Registered
812 Posts
My HD is at Kimber and while it's there, I thought about having them checkering the front strap. I like the feel of it but is there any good reason to, or not to spend the $150 or so to have it done other than appearance?
I normally use Hogue rubber wrap around grips with finger grooves, but received several nice sets of 1911 grips from the wife this year. A set of real "rattle" snakeskin, and the other smooth Amboyna wood grips. The smooth Amboyna burl grips are gorgeous on my SS LW XSE Commander, but without the fingergrooves or any surface texture on the front strap, it doesn't feel right. I may end up buying some Pierce Finger groove inserts. You already said you like the feel of it... go for it!

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have a Pro CDP and a Pro Carry, the CDP has it, the Pro Carry doesn't. One thing about checkering is that it takes extra time to clean, and likes to grab onto lint and fibres (like my silicon wipe down cloth). After having it both ways, I won't pay for it in the future (if it came with it, no problem).

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
I too like the stair tape. You can get several feet of the stuff for little money at Lowes or HD. I replace it about every 2 years on my 1911s. The 1" width fits the front strap perfectly. If you do opt for checkering go with either 25 or 30 lpi.
I have pretty tough hands but that is not the issue. As others have stated it is hard to adjust your grip with the 20 lpi.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had them do mine and it looks great. I replaced the MSH with a Ed Brown 30 LPI to match my front strap. I like the grip better and the looks are better as well. Go for it !!!

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Do it now and save the shipping. Tape is effective and cheap but it's just not the same as checkering. I've got 30 lpi on a couple of guns. It works fine but I'm thinking about 25 lpi for the next one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts