1911Forum banner

checkered thumb saftey

644 6
Gentelmen, I am new to the forum.
I am hopeing yall can help me out. I am having a hard time locating a checkered thumb saftey for my 1991a1 colt. I have checked with Numrich Gun Parts, and brownells, and have had no luck. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Administrator
80,883 Posts
Colt thumb safeties have been serrated since the end of WW2. Some early post-WW2 commercials had GI thumb safeties, but that's it. I'm not aware of any modern commercial manufacturers of checkered safeties, but given the checkering craze of recent years (heck, they're even checkering grip safeties these days!) I'm surprised nobody offers one.

· Registered
321 Posts
I think that Springfield Armory still issues USGI style checkered thumb safeties and slide stops on their USGI model.

May try the WTB boards. I'll bet that someone took theirs off and it's laying around. Or Ebay.

Brian

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replace the trigger with a gi checkered, the slide stop with a checkered slide stop, the flat composite msh with a steel arched checkered msh, and the hammer with a wide spur checkered hammer. I am trying to keep things uniform
but have been unable to locate a safety.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.