1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a number of steel frames in the past and was wondering if it is safe to do an alloy frame. I just bought a Para LTC with the light alloy frame as another project. I would love to checker the frame and was told you can not do these types of frames. I was told it would weaken the frame. What is the truth on this?

·
Premium Member
20,430 Posts
I don't know about weakening the frame, but the checkering itself would certainly be softer and easier to dent or bruise. Another thing to think about is what you are going to refinish the grip or entire gun with? I've seen some frames done while leaving the slide stock. They never match and some looked downright terrible unless you go to contrasting colors.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Aluminum will checker nicely. The problem is the anodizing will be removed. You will have to settle for a coated finish like gunkote.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Aluminum will checker nicely but you need to check the thickness of the front strap first to avoid breaking through.
You may need to use a finer checkering lines per inch.

Once checkered you have options on what to do about the finish.
You can leave it bare, use a paint type coating like Duracoat or Ceracoat, or send it to Ford's to have the frame anodized in one of several colors.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Can you hard chrome aluminum alloy frames?

·
Premium Member
11,667 Posts
Yes, but the frame must have a nickel plating first. HC won't stick to the aluminum. APW/Cogan does it and I believe that Mahovski Metalife will also.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Thank you, gentlemen.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I've checkered maybe 10 of the LW paras, and probably 25 Colt lW Commanders.

I've handled them by re-anodizing, painting, coating, hard-chrome, etc. All of them came out great.

The Colt's were surprisingly hard. The Paras not so much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts