1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 1911 built by a Marine armorer. I would like to have the front strap checkered. What is the "average" price. I don't care if it is machined either. I have a Springfield TRP checkered by the custom shop and it is fine.
Oh rear on the rear sight I did get a file from Brownells and opened it up about .004 it works great.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I don't think there is any good answer to your Question. Metalsmith did a great job of this for years but I heard he has quit that business. Contact the Action Works for pricing, etc. I used to charge $ 250.00 for my front strap handcut checkering but the machines and EDM do a better job cheaper. They don't put the Mojo in that comes from the blood, blisters, and tears, but it's the way to go these days. In the years 2001, highly skilled people are redundent.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I'm glad to hear you decided to open up that rear sight rather than go the other route. It's a lot easier and works just as well...even better in my opinion.
On the checkering, the price will outrage you I'm sure. It's a lot of work and the guys are all getting a ton of money for it these days. Machine work is the way to go, and even it is not cheap by any means. I think Baer gets $150 plus for it. Caspian is a lot cheaper but they will only do their own frames. Unless you're looking for esthetics, I'd use deck tread (skateboard tape). It actually works better than checkering or stippling.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Originally posted by Dave Sample:
Metalsmith did a great job of this for years but I heard he has quit that business.
Untrue. If you're talking about Metal Smith (Pete Single) he still checkers but isn't accepting work aside from his current customers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts