1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used Chinese 870 knockoff. The only markings are IAC BILLERICA MA. Are these made by Norinco? Any parts (Barrels) interchange with an 870? The action is a little rough but it has decent rifle sights and seems quite durable. I'm thinking about putting a Tac light on it for a go to gun. Anybody have any experience with these? Thanks Truman

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
These were made in China by Norinco and sold in the USA under a number of brand names by a number of importers.
These are close but NOT exact copies of the Remington 870.

Some parts and accessories "may" interchange, but barrels DO NOT.
You may have problems fitting an extension, due to the different barrel set up.

They make good "knock around" guns but are not up to American standards of fit, finish, or smoothness.
If you understand that up front, they are good shooters.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
i got one of those Chinese 870 Remington copies imported by New England Firearms. This thing is built like a tank. Parts are similar to the 870 but not exactly alike. Barrels are not interchangeable.
Unlike Remington 870, these Chinese copies come with metal trigger guard vs polymer.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Yep, I got one from New England Arms. Zdragon is correct- it is a tank!

Great shotgun for the money.

·
Registered
50 Posts
These were made in China by Norinco and sold in the USA under a number of brand names by a number of importers.
These are close but NOT exact copies of the Remington 870.

Some parts and accessories "may" interchange, but barrels DO NOT.
You may have problems fitting an extension, due to the different barrel set up.

hey make good "knock around" guns but are not up to American standards of fit, finish, or smoothness.
If you understand that up front, they are good shooters
Let me clear up some misconceptions and state some facts.

The Pardner Pump & Hawk 982 (GRS) & 981 (Bead Sight) are made by Hawk Ind in China. They have been in Business for over 55 years and are not new to manufacturing quality firearms. They have website that shows all of the firearms they make. They also make military Arms.

http://www.hawkindustries.com.cn/english/cpmore.asp?cpclasstype=Law Enforcement

All 870 parts and accessories will fit accept the barrels. The fit and finish is very good and they are built like a tank.

They are made better than the 870 Express and are a better deal.

They have a parkerized finish. The 870 Express has a bead blasted blue finish that doesn't provide any rust protection what so ever.

Machined extractor, ejector & firing pin. On the 870 Express these parts are metal injection molded. The polymer stocks on the Hawk shotguns are very thick, solid and made to last. They stocks on the 870 Express may look better but are made of thin polymer, have a hollow feel & sound to therm.

The Hawk Ind shotguns are a heck of a deal and no shotgun in the $200 - $300 price range can touch them for what they offer for the money.

GC

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
About the barrels not fitting, that's not entirely true. My friend, before he moved, had an 870 with a barrel that had a really loose mag tube lug. With a bit of wiggling and some gun oil, it actually did slide over the mag tube of my Norinco. You have to use a metal tube as a spacer due to the lug being closer to the receiver on the 870 than on the Norinco. However, if you're willing to use a cylinder hone, you could quite easily make an 870 barrel fit that model.

However, keep in mind that these are Chinese weapons. Fit and function from piece to piece has been less than great in my experience. Before undertaking a chore like honing the barrel lug, I would use micrometers and measure out the bolt locking lug spacing in relation to both barrels.

I also wish to note that I never fired the Norinco with the 870 barrel on it. The action cycled and dry fired without issue, but I never went further than that.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
I also wish to note that I never fired the Norinco with the 870 barrel on it. The action cycled and dry fired without issue, but I never went further than that.
i wouldn't recommend actually firing it either.
Action slide tubes/bars are not interchangeable with both guns.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Action slide tubes/bars are not interchangeable with both guns.
That's not been my experience. The correct 870 forend tube assemblies that I have tried fit.

I could careless if 870 barrels fit.

The Hawk 982 is a tough as nails very reliable utility defense shotgun.

GC

·
Registered
162 Posts
Digging up from the past

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know if the 870 forend nut interchanges with the Hawk 982? No 870's laying around to experiment with :(

I'm asking because I discovered the IAC had a metric receiver bolt, compared to the 870 standard bolt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know if the 870 forend nut interchanges with the Hawk 982? No 870's laying around to experiment with
I'm asking because I discovered the IAC had a metric receiver bolt, compared to the 870 standard bolt.
Probably not because the forend tube on the Hawk 98, 981 & 982 shotguns is a little larger in diameter than the 870.

Not all have a metric thread pattern receiver stud, only a few do. Mine has 1/4"-28 threads just like the 870.

The 870 forend assembly is a drop in fit on the 982 shotguns if you get the correct one.

GC

·
Registered
691 Posts
for the money you could have found a used 870, with parts and accessories widely available, or for a few dollars more, bought a new express, and kept an american worker on the job. Why feed the ChiCom's attempts to undermine us thru slave labor adn exploitation?

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Hawk 982 is better built shotgun than the 870 Express.

Your cell phone is made in China and imported by an American company.

Remington NEF imports the Pardner Pump which is made by Hawk Ind in China. Who do you support now days when almost every American company is involved in importing goods from China and other countries.

Sorry but the China argument has been beat to death. I am going for the best product that offers the most for the money no matter who makes it.

GC

·
Registered
50 Posts
The hawk is not better built than the 870 express. thats just not going to fly.
It's a fact. Compare the two if you ever get a chance.

*Thicker steel receiver
*Machine extractor and ejector
*The Machining on the top of the receiver is much nicer on the 982 than the Express. I can post pictures to show you.
*Machined Aluminum trigger guard, Plastic on the Express and compressed powdered aluminum on the 870P
*5+1 capacity without a tube ext
*Thicker more durable stock, Express stock is hollow.
*Better recoil pad. The Express pad is very hard. The recoil pad on the 982 is secured by brass inserts in the stock and machine screws. The pad on the Express is held on by wood screws in plastic.
*Better shell lifter design on the 982 no need for a Flexitab. If you can get a shell caught between the lifter and bolt on the 982 you just pump the action and clear it.
*Very good ghost ring sights on the 982 that would cost about half as much as the shotgun if you bought a similar set after market.
*Parkerized finish on the 982 and bead blasted blued on the Express that provides no rust protection.
*All 870 parts are a drop in fit on the 982 even the bolt. That shows it's made to tight tolerances and specs

The Express is a good shotgun but it's a budget shotgun made to save Remington money.

Pictures of the difference in the machining of the top the receiver of the DA Grizzle & Rem 870 shotguns. The DA Grizzle is a Canadian imported version of the Hawk 982. Both are made by Hawk ind in China. The only difference is the 982 doesn't have the cutout in the back of the receiver. The pictures shows that the machining on the 982, 870P & WingMaster shotguns is much nicer than the machining the 870 Express. They also show that the receiver on the 982 & DA Grizzly shotguns is slightly thicker than the 870 receiver.

GC

·
Registered
162 Posts
I managed to contact IAC and got the forend nut dirt cheap, arrived in a few days too. On another note, I've read on forum after forum about people talking trash about Norinco because it's Chinese. I don't care. I'm sure there's some Honda, Toyota, Audi, VW, etc. owners on here. Between the TV's, computers, phones, clothes, furniture, etc, etc, I can guarantee 95% of that stuff is made overseas. My investment was only $200 and it went towards helping an AMERICAN business owner. How many original Norinco 1911 frames have been used for builds too? I don't hear anyone bashing them.

These Norincos are rugged guns and a steal for their price range. I'm not afraid to use, customize, or modify them either. I'd certainly experiment with a $200 gun before a $400 gun. I just Cerama-coated my 982 and it looks great. My two Mossbergs could benefit from this stuff too.

And MAX100, I've seen your name floating around quite a bit when searching for Norinco info. Do you happen to know of, or have a 372 heat shield? I haven't had much luck finding one since they weren't imported for more than 2 years.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
I recently replaced my boots. Had no problem finding USA made with a little searching around. I go to some effort to buy USA made products. My pistol (Have just the one, for now) is a 1970's made Colt.
I ain't a nut about it but I try to buy USA made whenever possible. I sure ain't rich. If I buy a pump shotgun in the future I'll probably put together a Remington 870 the way I need it. Each to their own, I reckon.
NOT bashing the OP, just putting in my 2 cents. Like hats here in Texas, I reckon what you buy with your money is your business.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I see enough used 870s of all vintages in pawn shops I couldn't imagine buying a Chinese knockoff. And while I am not a fan of Chinese products at all (with the exception of Norinco 1911s) and try to buy American from vehicles to toothpaste, I love the people who pound out the tirades of supporting slave labor by buying Chinese firearms on keyboards made in China. I have looked and cannot find a keyboard, unless its something like 15 years old, that is not made in Red China.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts