1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always thought it was a good idea to use the same round for self-defense as the local police d0 - that way there's one less item to worry about at the grand jury ;-)

My question is, what is the preferred load among the Manatee County Sheriff's Department? Now that I've moved here, I'd love to know. I suppose I could find it in the county's procurement records, but I'm just not that good with a search!

------------------
--
Lee

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Car Knocker:
Have you tried asking them?
Oh, sure, take the easy way out!

Actually I figured they'd be less than helpful - were I a cop, I'd have to question the real motive behind asking about equipment choices - is this person really shopping for body armor? Yeah, I suppose I COULD try that first.

------------------
--
Lee

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Manevitch, do you actually know of a case where the liability issue was laid to rest because the civilian shooter shot the same ammo as the local police? I think you are following a bit of gun lore. It is popular gun lore, just like suggesting that using handloaded ammo you did yourself increases your liability if you shoot someone.

You liability comes in carrying a gun and discharging it, not the ammo unless you are using a form of illegal ammo. The question will be whether you were justified in shooting or not. If you weren't, you get in trouble. If you were justified, you won't be in trouble or you will be no-billed or found not guilty.

If I were the lawyer suing you and I asked why you chose the ammo you chose and you said it was because it was what the local police carried, I would have a field day with you because you are obviously a cop wannabe who set out on vigilante justice. See how easily something good can be twisted around? My point is that just because the cops use a given brand or caliber does not mean that it will alleviate any liability fears and the logic can backfire on you.

Also, the question should not be in regard to what the cops carry, but why they carry what they carry. Do they carry brand X because it is the best stopping bullet out there, because the ammo came at a special price for the department, or maybe because the Sheriff's brother-in-law works for American Ammo out of Florida and that is why they use it?

Consider for a moment the situation of local law enforcement. They are likely carrying high capacity guns, wear ballistic protection, may travel with a partner who is equally equipped or more, and are in radio contact and can summon help on a moment's notice. Unlike civilian shootings, they don't call 911. If you are shot and call 911, you might get a couple of cops. If a cop is shot and radios "officer down", then every leo around for miles will converge on the downed officer's location.

There is a good chance that the local law enforcement guys don't carry the most devastating legal ammo made. Given that you won't be wearing a vest, have a partner, be in radio contact, or have every local officer immediately converge on your location in an emergency, you really should consider obtaining the most devastating ammo you can legally carry in your weapon.

Your decision on ammo most likely should not be based on what the local PD uses since you don't have the same considerations. For a gunfight, liability is the least of your worries, but stopping the people trying to kill you is tantamount. Liability only comes as a concern if you survive. If you don't survive, who cares what ammo you were using?

Remember, winning a gun fight does not mean that you killed or stopped the other guy if he too manages to kill you too. Think about the FBI shootout in Miami in 1986. After being mortally wounded, one of the gunmen managed to kill three agents and inflict serious wounds on others. The first shot he received was lethal, but he remained alive long enough to do significant damage. While the FBI 'won' the fight, for three agents they lost.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Point taken. I think I'll stick with Hydra-Shok.

The original reason I asked the question is because I have am acquaintance witha wheel gun who keeps a different bullet in every chanber - "just to be sure." to me, this sounds like an invitation to be prosecuted. But you're right; I'll stick with what works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts