1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to have a gun shipped in, and I need to choose a FFL. I've never done this before, but I've heard vague rumors that there can be trouble.

Aside from general plesant demeanor and reasonable fees, what should I be looking for?

What kind of trouble have people had in the past, and why?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have mine shiped to a shop that I know. Fees are a factor but I like going to a shop that looks well run and will not be going out of business soon. I would not have it sent to any shop that seems to be on a shoe string budget.

·
Administrator
73,386 Posts
All you need is a valid FFL holder willing to do the transfer for you. I usually use my local gunsmith, who only charges me $20. The worst is a local gun shop that charges $55 for the transfer PLUS they will charge 10% of their retail price for any gun that they could've gotten in for the customer instead.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
i have used the same well known area shop for anything i have had shipped in. things have always gone smoothly as i have an ongoing established relationship with them.

if you are not familiar with area shops, is there another area shooter you trust who could recommend a local one to you? also, as just mentioned, a reputable local smith is an option.

be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
A local dealer that I just used for the first time only charged me $20 to transfer two S&W revolvers. Needless to say most of my business will be going to him in the future.

·
Registered
409 Posts
dsk said:
All you need is a valid FFL holder willing to do the transfer for you. I usually use my local gunsmith, who only charges me $20. The worst is a local gun shop that charges $55 for the transfer PLUS they will charge 10% of their retail price for any gun that they could've gotten in for the customer instead.
Those folks are "Bandits" and don't deserve any of your business.

I can see how they could justify the $55 for the transfer but the 10% for a gun they could have procured for you! :eek: That is extortion! :mad:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Something to check on, too -- see if your FFL will accept incoming from an individual.

Many of the dealers around here won't. The gun *has* to come from another FFL. It's not law -- just their store policy. It was explained to me that they wanted no part of taking a risk in facilitating the sale of a stolen weapon, and "thieves don't take guns to FFL's for shipment."

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
boo radley said:
Something to check on, too -- see if your FFL will accept incoming from an individual.

Many of the dealers around here won't. The gun *has* to come from another FFL. It's not law -- just their store policy. It was explained to me that they wanted no part of taking a risk in facilitating the sale of a stolen weapon, and "thieves don't take guns to FFL's for shipment."
Good though. This is for a new piece though so I don't have to worry this time.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have two gunshops near me. One charges $25.00 for the transfer. The other charges $50.00 for a transfer.

I guess you know which one has been getting my business including using their gun range facilities.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are two pawn shops near me that do them for $25, one gun shop that charges $35, and a really nice gentleman who holds an FFL almost for the sole purpose of doing transfers for other people. He only charges $15, so he gets my business. A $10 difference ain't much but it adds up if you're buying multiple guns, and leaves you with a few extra bucks to spend on ammo. :)

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I use my shooting range/club to ship. They only charge me $10 because their main business is running the range. You might check with yours.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've taken to holding on to my money until the seller has received the FFL.

There's nothing I hate worse than the seller having my money and saying he hasn't received the FFL at the same time my dealer is saying he sent it.

If you can get your FFL to give you a copy of his license, then you can mail both out together.

My FFL is also now telling me that it is legal to fax a copy of the license and the seller can verify using EZ check on the BATF web site. He says this went into effect on September 1.

It just doesn't pay to be too trusting when doing mail purchases from strangers using dealers who aren't happy because you didn't buy the gun from them.

·
Banned
91 Posts
One thing to consider is the laws in your state. Many of the stocking dealers near me in MD charge around $50 for handguns due to extra paperwork with the state.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts