1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a guy really wanted a Scandium frame officer's model gun? Since S&W doesn't offer anything is officer's model size frame, what kind of things would one have to do to chop the grip and have a gun that worked.

What about the main spring behind the magazine, the grip screws? Is is just a mater of removing material from the bottom of the frame and the grips, or are there mechanical things that would have to be done too?

·
Registered
23,262 Posts
I haven't seen a scandium S&W close enough to know how big the opening in the frame under the grips is. If it were as big as a real 1911, you could not cut the butt off without breaking into it. In pre-OACP days, there were some short butt guns made by cutting out a center section and welding the bottom end back on to preserve the grip screw bushing, MSH pin hole, and searspring slot. I don't feel good about welding Sc-Al.

If the opening were smaller, you could cut the butt off to OACP length, drill and tap for the grip screw bushing at OACP spacing and drill for the MSH pin. The searspring slot would be ok.

Look at the picture of a Caspian receiver at
http://www.caspianarms.com/html/receivers/commander.html
to see a frame opening that would allow shortening.
A Colt's opening is about twice as big, similar to the Baer at
http://www.lesbaer.com/parts.html
and could not readily be shortened.

I just don't know about a S&W. Can you get a look at one? You can probably tell by just looking up the magazine well without even taking off the grips.

I had this done to a cheap alumium Essex/A&R aluminum frame with very small opening and it functioned ok. But if FLG hadn't felt like doing it at reduced experimental shop rates, it would not have been worth the expense and trouble.

It won't be cheap, even if physically possible.

How about a nice lightweight Colt? You could find a light OACP on the secondary market, or a new Defender, or pay the price for a Gunsite CCO.

How about a full custom on a titanium Caspian?

·
Registered
23,262 Posts
I don't have it for a G.M. but for OACP which is what you said you wanted I was able to find - by search here:

Caspian Officer’s size frames (bare):
Aluminum – 3.6 oz.
Titanium – 6.4 oz.
Carbon steel – 10.7 oz.
Stainless steel – 11.4 oz.

The teeny bit of scandium in S&W's aluminum alloy will not affect weight enough to tell, but it does add considerable strength.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Someone above said that they would not be comfortable welding scandium.. The whole point of scandium is to make an otherwise non-weldable aluminum weldable. I have done some work for a guy that builds bicycles, and they have been using sc-al tubing for several years.
This is from a bicycle tubing manufacturer, But the alloy is the same..

"Scandium accomplishes its magic claims by being what’s called a grain refiner. Peering into a microscope at a welded scandium frame versus a traditional 6061 or 7005 aluminum frame, it’s almost like looking at silk and canvas. When scandi-um is added to the aluminum alloy (along with the usual magnesium, iron, copper, zinc, lead, and nickel additives), the grain structure of the aluminum actually becomes smoother and finer. This finer grain structure makes the alloy stronger. In fact, Easton claims that scan-dium provides the highest increment of strengthening per atomic percent of any of the aluminum alloying elements. Compared to 6061 or 7005 aluminum, scandium enjoys ultimate and tensile strengths that are 40% to 50% higher. (Tensile strength is the force required to bend it permanently, and ultimate strength is the force required to actually break it.) " :rock: :rock:

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am in the same boat~!

I have a LDA .45 commander that I wanted to shorten the grip, aint gonna happen, so I am going to bobtail it. Due to the funky cut out on the frame i wont have a bottom bushing going officer's size, and the same is true on the SW scandium commander that a buddy has as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.